Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2014

drtse
Default Possible TI Swim Speeds

I am curious to know what everyone's average and max TI swim speed per 100m is...particularly those who have been at it for a while and coaches.

Being goal-oriented, I'd like to know what's the range of possiblity. Currently I am only swimming 1:55-2:00/100m on average after about 5 months of self-taught TI training.
Old 09-26-2014

tomoy

Lots of variables. And TI is not really one of them. It shares goals with many "camps" of swimming pedagogy.

I understand the usefulness of gauging where you're at, and how much you can expect to improve. The big variables are: age, height, distance, pool length. I think you've given us a distance of 100M (average).

I can answer: 1:25 max, probably 1:45 average but big variables are 49yrs, 5'11", 25SCY pool, and you mentioned your experience, so I'll kick in 5+ yrs TI, 3 of those self-taught.

Further to TI, I guess it is a variable in a related way, most TI practitioners are looking to swim longer distances, so they might not be targeting 100M as you have here. My 1-mile pace in non-salt, open water without a wetsuit is roughly 2:05 per 100M for instance. Notice all those other variables?

It might be hard to gauge in this format. Clearly we need a nice web-app where everyone's numbers can give us an interactive chart....

Last edited by tomoy : 09-26-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2014

drtse

Hi tomoy,

Thx for chiming in! You are right...lots of other variables to consider and if others want to include the other data that you provided, it makes it all the more interesting!

For me: Male, 42, 5'10", 171lbs, lean-athletic frame ~11%BF, 25m training pool, non-swimmer up until 5 months ago.

There are a few swimming systems out there but what seems to differentiate TI from others the most is the focus on balance and streamline. Others agree these are important but that speed comes from strong, efficient catch & pull and kicks. So my curiosity revolves around what attainable speeds have been observed in folks subscribing to TI methods versus more traditional models.
Old 09-26-2014

Grant

Hi
At present I am 79 yrs. 5 ft 8in 165 lbs which results in A body max index of 25.
Swim in 25 Meter saline treated pool.
100m - 2 Beat Kick with TT at 1:05, 18/19 Strokes per Length, Time 1:46
This time has risen in the last several years.
Took up swimming at age 58 and was basically a thrasher sprinter. Began following the TI pathway after about five years. Worked on balance and streamlining and still flutter kicking. My sprint times continued to go down until about 2 to 3 years ago. The last 6 or 7 years I began working on the 2bk for longer races and while not as fast as the sprints the format allowed me to be competitive in my age group and country.
From my experience the TI principals will be of value wheather you are sprinting or going long in the pool or in open water.
All the best and enjoy the trip.
Old 10-04-2014

Talvi

Me, male, 62, 5'10", 73kg (160lb), 25m pool, NS, likes Mozart, long walks, seeks ... oops. Mid June 2013 I could only do 100m intervals of FS.

My best 100m pace is 1:49, best over 50m is 1:39. These are with TT at 1.0 and for those distances not for longer distances. Best continuous 1.0km is 2:07, 2.5km at 2:13.

I think numbers are really only comparable between those who have some decent control/choice over the basic variables of spl and rate. Within this group they are only comparable between those with similar physical strength in the relevant muscles and joints. That's if your focus is on technique benefit etc rather than just the numbers. In my case I feel I am still trying to get a handle on a uniform stroke. My spl varies from 14 to 22 in its own sweet and infuriating way irrespective of what I am trying to do at the time. I've done a 100m with the TT at 1.00 in 18spl and another day the same deal was at 22spl. IMO sub 2:00 after 5mnths (or anytime really) is good.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 10-04-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2014

jafaremraf

yes..... Too many variables and for me that is good and bad. Good because I can use it as an excuse for poor performance(!) and bad because there are some things you just can't change....... And I do know that there are no excuses really.

I'm female (don't seem that many who post on here?), 50 years, 5'3", 140lb. Small hands and feet (diddy flippers!). I'm fairly buoyant and don't have sinky leg syndrome. For 100m in 25m pool I would do about 2m30s, 200m 5m15s and 400m 11m15s. I have a slow pace and on a good day I can do 18spl, but usually it's about 22spl. 1 year ago I couldn't swim front crawl and then discovered TI and have been a woman on a mission ever since. I think desire is a great motivator.

I don't think my statistics can be compared to you guys - but I could perhaps compare myself to a regular contributor to this forum who is female and I think my height..... CoachSuzanne........and so there the similarity ends!
Old 10-04-2014

Talvi

RoFL "diddy flippers"

Jane your numbers seem to me to be comparable. If my arithmetic is right that is.

You're 1.6m in euros, so your green zone DPS is between 0.8m and 1.12m. If we assume a 4m push off then the remaining 21m would take you between 18 and 26 strokes if you were swimming in this green zone. Well, you're doing 18spl on a good day and that's a 70% efficiency which is kinda the Grail, and an spl of 22 is still comfortably in your green zone.

Unless my maths is wacky, then your pace is then simply a matter of stroke rate, simply ... ok, maybe not simple, but still, your mission is a success I would say.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 10-04-2014

jafaremraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
RoFL "diddy flippers"

Jane your numbers seem to me to be comparable. If my arithmetic is right that is.

You're 1.6m in euros, so your green zone DPS is between 0.8m and 1.12m. If we assume a 4m push off then the remaining 21m would take you between 18 and 26 strokes if you were swimming in this green zone. Well, you're doing 18spl on a good day and that's a 70% efficiency which is kinda the Grail, and an spl of 22 is still comfortably in your green zone.

Unless my maths is wacky, then your pace is then simply a matter of stroke rate, simply ... ok, maybe not simple, but still, your mission is a success I would say.
You've made my day Robin :) All these stats and figures float around the forum and my brain goes into apathy. It's not that I can't do maths, I quite like it, but I'm a visualiser so the figures don't relate to what I see in my head. So I'm going to take your word for it, thank you for taking the time to work it out. And now I feel I need to get the TT out again, see if I can pick up the pace a bit. Diddy flippers are also why I now play the ukulele instead of the guitar!

........ NS, likes Mozart, long walks, seeks......
I don't know how long you've lived in Finland, but you seem to have retained your English sense of humour!
Old 10-04-2014

Grant

[quote=Talvi;48775]Me, male, 62, 5'10", 73kg (160lb), 25m pool, NS, likes Mozart, long walks, seeks ... oops. Mid June 2013 I could only do 100m intervals of FS.

Talvi
At age 62 my height was 5'10". Upon the onset of my middle 70's my spinal discs began loosing some of their water content and now I am 5'8". I was surprised when I realized I had been quite proud of being 5'10" which is not all that big but it was all mine. Ah the adjustments ones ego has to make. :0)
Old 10-05-2014

tomoy

Ah - something to look forward to ;-)