Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013

Danny
Default who knows about pool options in my area?

I live in Romeo, MI, USA and usually swim at my high school swimming pool, which is closing for repairs this summer. Unfortunately, I seem to be allergic to something in the lakes in eastern USA, so swimming in open water (with the exception of the Great Lakes, further north) is not an option. I have spent a lot of time beating the bushes looking for alternatives that are not too far away and don't cost too much, but maybe someone on this forum knows something I don't.

I work at around 13 Mile and Van Dyke, so the best option would be something that is as compatible as possible to a trip into work. I have checked out some swim clubs (in particular, LA fitness). These are all shallow pools, and I don't like the water quailty. If you have a large number of people swimming in a small volume of water, the visibility starts to suffer pretty quickly. In past summers, I have swum laps at the Troy aquatic center, which is a little out of the way, but it seems like my best bet. The lanes get pretty crowded with kids, and the water quality there can also start to suffer, but not as much as in some of these fitness centers.

Are there high school pools around here that have morning swim hours that I might try? Any other suggestions?
Old 05-05-2013

tony0000

I swim at the YMCA in downtown Detroit. The pool (25y) is deep, and you can just about always get lane to yourself if you know when to swim. The Y is a great place. Let me know if you have any questions about the facility.

If you end up swimming there, contact me. I'd like someone I can work on my TI stroke with.

Tony
Old 05-05-2013

Danny

Tony,

Good to hear from you. Downtown Detroit is too far for me to drive before or after work, since it is south of my workplace and I live north. Still, it'd be fun to meet with you sometime and swim together. A friend of mine told me that there is a one mile open water swim every year, sometime in June, at the Belle Isle beach. Since that's Detroit River, I thought I would try it this year and hope that my allergies don't act up. I don't know exactly when it is, but are you interested? Maybe the best way to catch up on this is via the private mail on this forum... Anyone else interested?

Tony, I just checked, and you apparently have set your options on this forum not to receive private messages, so I can't contact you. Lemme know how I can reach you, if you want to try to get together.

Danny

Last edited by Danny : 05-05-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2013

tony0000

Danny,

I think I turned on the private message option. But if I didn't, you can contact me at tony0000@mail.com.

I've done the mile swim a few times. It's sometime in July, I think. Yeah, it would be nice to do it together. It's a good event.

Always interested in meeting other TI swimmers in the area,

Tony
Old 05-07-2013

sojomojo has disabled reputation

http://www.swimmersguide.com/default.aspx?NID=160

I don't know if this website will help you find a swimming pool in your area, but whenever I travel, I always check it to see if there are any swimming pools.
Old 05-07-2013

Danny

Swimmer's guide is a great website, but there is a lot it doesn't cover. To some extent all of us are the guilty parties, because we don't make the effort to enter swimming pools we use into the site. However, high school pools, which have intermittent, seasonal and changing hours pose a difficult problem. But thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Danny : 05-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.