Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013

Bareebo
Default Low pH and tooth decay in Cambodia

Hello All!
This is my first time writing on this forum. My name is David Emery. I am 47 years old. I am from the USA, but I have been living and working in Cambodia for the past 7 years.
I started swimming (using TI) again in Cambodia after many years out of the pool. I swim about 3-4 times a week, putting in about 3,000 meters per/workout. However, about 8 months after I started swimming, I noticed that my teeth hurt and were very sensitive after my workouts. I looked at my teeth a little more closely than usual and found that they had become very yellow/brown, which is from the loss of tooth enamel. I went online to research why this was happening.
I found out that low pH (acidic) can damage your teeth. The pool I swim in (one of the very few public lap pools in the whole country and the only one where I live in Battambang) is pretty dirty and generally not well kept (beggars can't be choosers :-). I really, really do not want to give up swimming, as my health (other than my teeth) has improved greatly since I started swimming, both my physical and emotional health. I have looked online for solutions, but have come up empty.
Does anyone have some ideas of how I can continue swimming without ruining my teeth?
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!
David
Old 12-26-2013

Scotty
Default Causality or Correlation

David:

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but are you sure that the erosion of your tooth enamel is due to unclean water at your pool?

My guess is that it may be more related to diet, particularly high acidic fruit or different spices in Cambodian food. Both can lead to GERD (acid reflux) which can be devastating to enamel.

Just a thought.

Scotty
Old 12-27-2013

Bareebo

Scotty,
Thanks for the advice!
However, I have been living in Cambodia for 7 years and have never had a problem before beginning my swimming routine. From everything that I have read online, it looks like a pretty sure bet that it is the pool's low pH that is causing my tooth decay. I could be wrong.
Thanks again!
David
P.S I told a young US volunteer in Cambodia that I was the Mark Spitz of Cambodia, and he looked at me with that blank "what are you talking about" expression :-)
Old 01-02-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

My dentist recommends washing out your mouth with water after each swim.

Bob
Old 03-27-2014

JenniferAnn

I suggest you to take dental care products like, mouth-wash, mouth-gum, etc when you come out of pool. As this will cleanse the contamination present in pool's water. Or you can ask about it from your dentist.
Old 04-06-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

if it's low ph, maybe some fresh lemon water rinse afterwards ?

Also the post above mine is total spam and should be ignored. Designed to get backlinks to a dental website. Mods please remove!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Last edited by CoachSuzanne : 04-06-2014 at 06:58 PM.