Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012

andyinnorway
Default Strength Training - Weight Room exercises.

I am swapping two of my swim sessions for gym work and wondered what other peoples programs were.

which exercises do you do specifically for swimming, what sort of repetitions, and what weights are you lifting in relation to max.

I have ordered the book ian mac mentioned (david salo) but that is waiting for me in UK so I wont get it for a few weeks.

Also, would you consider the rowing ergonometers good cross training for swimming whilst I am in there.
Old 01-11-2012

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I am swapping two of my swim sessions for gym work and wondered what other peoples programs were.

which exercises do you do specifically for swimming, what sort of repetitions, and what weights are you lifting in relation to max.

I have ordered the book ian mac mentioned (david salo) but that is waiting for me in UK so I wont get it for a few weeks.

Also, would you consider the rowing ergonometers good cross training for swimming whilst I am in there.
i have become a big believer in strength training that is not body building. you can find a lot of literature on dragondoor.com.

i personally am doing a program for running in Underground Secrets for Faster Running which is also talked about in 4 Hour Body.

the program i've been using is essentially that which is described in those two books.

It generally looks like this:

Warm Up
Bench
2x135
Rest 5:00
2x155
2x175

Deadlift
2x135
2x175
2x210

Additional exercises:

at the moment this is:
2x Bulgarian single leg deadlift, no weight
2x 8x Assisted Glute Ham raise

2x 3x 5sec of the Torture Twist as described in 4 Hour Body.

I also added some Kettlebell and Indian club exercises, but using extremely light weight and very little reps only. As those books' authors have discovered, strength is more effectively built by low rep, lots of rest between sets. So I stay away from kettlebell swings but just do some Turkish Get Ups, Cleans, Shoulder presses, and Snatches with lots of rest in between like 2-3 minutes, and only 2-4 reps each set. A great Kettlebell book is Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel. the DVD version of the book is awesome. The best text for the Turkish Get Up is Kettlebells from the Ground Up. Gray Cook is the man!

Also, I cannot do a lot of sets AND train for swimming at the same time. Off season I can do that, but when I am training for swimming I need to focus on swimming and not wipe my body out from other activities. So I need to adjust my weight training to build strength but leave my body loose enough and not wiped out to swim.

So the concept is to avoid at all costs weight training like a bodybuilder but rather more like an Olympic Power lifter. If you want to read more about this, this book is excellent: Easy Strength by Dan John and Pavel.
Old 01-11-2012

naj
Default Body Weight Exercises

I am not a fan of weights. I am not opposed to cross training and what I do to get stronger may not apply to others and thus I respect the opinions of those on this forum who do advocate weight training as they have had good results.

That being said, I do body weight exercises. For instances, various push-ups, pull-ups, ab work, balance work and what I have recently discovered and now deeply believe in, YOGA!!!!!!!!!!!

My feeling is; one can do a lot by learning how to lift ones own body weight. Hope this helps a bit.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 01-11-2012

arunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
That being said, I do body weight exercises. For instances, various push-ups, pull-ups, ab work, balance work and what I have recently discovered and now deeply believe in, YOGA!!!!!!!!!!!

My feeling is; one can do a lot by learning how to lift ones own body weight.
Naji
The way i practice concurs with you said.

Last edited by arunks : 01-11-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
I am not a fan of weights. I am not opposed to cross training and what I do to get stronger may not apply to others and thus I respect the opinions of those on this forum who do advocate weight training as they have had good results.

My feeling is; one can do a lot by learning how to lift ones own body weight. Hope this helps a bit.

Keep Swimming!
Naji

I think you are right about training against your own body weight, problem is that might mean using my wife's pole, then she'll see how weak I am compared to her.
Old 01-11-2012

westyswoods
Default Strength & Flexibility

Pure weight lifting has not been in my life for years. I have taken a more holistic path, the focus is now on long and strong. Naj's routine is much of what I do now.

One of my favorites has become balance balls, they are inexpensive and are multipurpose. Great for balance, core strength, and flexibility all in one. These are not the big balls filled with air.

They are much smaller, air filled and fit more to the different contours of the body. Brand I have are Yammuni can be filled to various levels of hardness.
They allow for specific areas of the body to be worked on.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 07-20-2012

needer
Default weight training vs learning swimming

My swimming coach says swimming needs soft muscles while weight training makes them firm . He told me if you want to complete your swimming techniques then do not do gym work out unless you becom perfect in swimming. weights disturb swimming learning process.
But I do look for a fitnness curvy body . and weights are the only tools to make muscle and gain some weight.and if i give it up for some monthes afterwards I have to start everything frome the begining

what do you recmommend? should I give up weights for around 6 month to complete my swimming ? or not necessary?
Old 07-21-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by needer View Post
My swimming coach says swimming needs soft muscles while weight training makes them firm . He told me if you want to complete your swimming techniques then do not do gym work out unless you becom perfect in swimming. weights disturb swimming learning process.
But I do look for a fitnness curvy body . and weights are the only tools to make muscle and gain some weight.and if i give it up for some monthes afterwards I have to start everything frome the begining

what do you recmommend? should I give up weights for around 6 month to complete my swimming ? or not necessary?
I cannot comment on the coaches advice as I have no knowledge. Assuming you are not trying to be an olympic athlete I think you can use weights to get the body shape you desire and still learn to be a great swimmer.

You can also swim more strength based sets as this will build swim specific muscles. (low SPL longer strokes - see some of Terry's sets on this).
Old 07-21-2012

needer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I cannot comment on the coaches advice as I have no knowledge. Assuming you are not trying to be an olympic athlete I think you can use weights to get the body shape you desire and still learn to be a great swimmer.

You can also swim more strength based sets as this will build swim specific muscles. (low SPL longer strokes - see some of Terry's sets on this).
I have the same opinion as you but since I still didn't complete my swimming skills he prevent me to continue gym. He said if you want to learn you have to stay away from gym because swimming needs soft and flexible muscles. and you cannot perfect your stroke by adding weights to swimming learning process.
I am not agree with him though. and also If I give up gym then after some month I have to start everything from the begining.
Old 07-22-2012

ian mac
Default A balanced hodge-podge

Andy,
As always, it depends on your goals. Many master's swimmers who are sprinters spend time doing plyometrics to develop more explosive power. Many distance swimmers rely more on a high rep/low weight regimen.

I find that since swimming is my main focus, propelling my 6'2', 210 lb frame through 3-5 kilometres 3-5 times per week already does a lot for my sport specific muscle development. So if time is critical, I will always do the swims before the weights.

When time allows I do a weekly yoga class with several of my daughters. Range of motion is more critical to good swimming than increased strength. Periodically I will do a 12 week progressive program involving free weights and stability balls and natural body alignment, yoga/pilates oriented stuff. Good luck with Salo's book - I hope it is as inspirational for you as it is for me.

I am intrigued about this pole your wife is using...
ian mac