Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010

MirekDymek
Default Superman Glide - higher hands position

Today morning at the end of my swimming session
I did few SG drills just to relax. No kicking just glide.
After few seconds of gliding my hips started to sink - as always.
Than I did something opposite to my routine. I put my arms up instead of down.
My head was down, body streamlined but my arms were parallel to the surface,
I raised my palms over the surface and than magically
my feet drifted to the surface too. My heels penetrated water surface.

I was quite shocked. I stared experiment a little more and after one minute was able to lay flat on the water, hands and heels slightly over the surface. No propulsion needed. I can do it anytime now.

All of it happened after 3 months of unsuccessful drilling.

At home I watched Ultimate Superman Glide video by Shinji. I noticed that he does the same, his arms are flat on the surface. I always though that he has so great balance that he ca do that, no it seems that this arms position grants him the balance.

I can't wait for my next visit at the pool to play more with this issue.

Mirek

Ps. Excuse my my English I write from Poland.
Old 05-16-2010

westyswoods

Very interesting and I sure will try next time I am in pool. It may have much to do with how streamline and extended you can get. Thanks for the post and you should not apologize for the English as it is great.

Thanks for the post
Westy from Wisconsin
Old 05-16-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Mirek
Were your hips also on the surface or did you perhaps feel as if you were "sagging" in the middle?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 05-16-2010

MirekDymek

Hi Terry,

My hips were also on the surface. Normally I do not have problem
with streamlined position during swimming with 2bk
or drilling with gentle flutter kick.
Sinking legs problem was related only to no kicking superman glide.

Anyway it looks like a nice trick. I have no idea how to convert it into swimming.
For sure you can't spear with hand on the surface :)

Tomorrow evening I will test it more at the pool.

Today my wife finished TI workshop here in Krakow.
I'm happy man having my belowed wife as my TI partner.

Mirek
Old 05-18-2010

MirekDymek

Hi all,

I investigated this issue during last two pool sessions.
I found out that high hands position is nice trick if somebody want to lay stationary on the water.

However during swimming this leads to immediate leg sinking.

So please forget about it and stay with TI traditional spearing down.

Mirek
Old 05-18-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

I think the difference has to do with your shoulders. Most of us don't have a lot of shoulder mobility. So raising our hands forces something else down, the hips, low back, or everything. For some, raising the hands engages the core because they naturally move from the shoulder blade and locks the line from fingers to toes into a straight line.

For me, I get much longer glides from raising my hands from the shoulder blade. But I also have to concentrate on closing the ribs, tucking the tailbone, and extending the hips to keep everything else in line. I believe that this will become natural as my flexibility and strength in these areas improves, but for now it takes a lot of effort.

I expect that the reason you did not get good results as you swam is because it is much more difficult to hold a good body line while rotating. I think it is worth playing with because our goal is to fully understand how our bodies react to the water and apply it to full stroke.

In swimming, you will balance the depth of the lead arm against effort and balance. If your hand is too deep, it will drag in the water. If it is too high, it will either drop your hips or require too much energy to hold everything in line. Your job is to find the balance that moves you the fastest with the least energy.
Old 05-18-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEricD View Post
In swimming, you will balance the depth of the lead arm against effort and balance. If your hand is too deep, it will drag in the water. If it is too high, it will either drop your hips or require too much energy to hold everything in line. Your job is to find the balance that moves you the fastest with the least energy.
Coach Eric,

This morning I was experimenting with fins on and then off. When I have them on, I find that my butt feels like its too low and my feet feel high. This forces my face lower into the water (swimming downhill?). I have to watch it when I swim with fins or I will move my head upward to breathe. Since my rotation has become better, I now can rotate to air and not doubt that it will be there. But my mouth is physically closer to the water than it is when I normally swim. That has led me to the conclusion that I might ought to swim that way all the time. That is moving my head only enough to barely clear the water. Does that help accomplish better streamlining. The other thing I noticed is that my stoke produces much more glide with the fins on. It seemed that I was sliding more on my chest than when I do when I swim without fins. I know the fins are holding my feet higher than normal but whats surprising is that it makes me feel like my butt is lower than normal. Should I pursue this feel when I swim normally. In other words, do I have any hopes of replicating the fins on feeling when the fins are off. A conventional swimmer once showed me an exercise which required you to lay on your stomach and raise your outstretched arms and legs simultaneously for as long as you can. I generally could do it for 45-90 seconds but it was difficult. Would this help achieve better streamline posture or are there easier ways?