Default Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid -- 100m Repeats

Wed July 25 -- 2400m at Ulster County Pool

800m Warmup
1 x 200 @ 37SPL
6 x 100 on 2:00 Descend while maintaining 37SPL

Main Set
14 x 100 Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid (ATP)

Cooldown - 200m @ 37SPL

The ATP set of 14 x 100 was interesting. I did it in the same tempo range as the 8 x 200 I'd swum 12 hrs earlier at Minnewaska.
I swam as follows
4 x 100 @ 1.00 - 1.02 - 1.04 - 1.06
I swam 84SPL and 1:37 at 1.00 and improved to 81SPL and 1:35 at 1.06 (I'd swum faster - 1:34 at 1.04).
Then
6 x 100 @ 1.05 down to 1.00. SPL increased gradually to 83SPL and times improved to 1:34.
Since I was below starting SPL of 84 I decided to continue increasing tempo until I reached original SPL and as long as I still felt relaxed/controlled.
That was 4 x 100 @ .99-.98-.97-.96. Best time was 1:32 and 84SPL. Still felt smooth and easy.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 07-27-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Best 200 Ever at Lake Minnewaska

Friday July 27 2800y at Lake Minnewaska
Warmup 1200 aiming for 'silky synergy' in my stroke. I averaged 50 breaths per length or 150 SPL along the 200y line. I timed my last length of that to get a benchmark against which to judge the timed 200s in my next set. That was 3:07. I took 150 strokes so tempo there was 1.25.
Main Set 8 x 200 on 3:30 interval, increasing tempo from 1.00 to .90.
My goal this morning was to wire in a sense of light-and-brisk, while minimizing exertion, since I'll race the Point Lookout Ocean Mile in less than 48 hrs.
I swam 6 x 200, advancing tempo by .01 on each, starting @ 1.00 and hitting .95 on #6. My times descended from 2:55 to 2:38. At no time did I swim harder -- only quicker.
I went back to silky synergy - no tempo on #7 to start #8, feeling fresher.
I set tempo at .90--fastest tempo I've swum in 2 or more years. I felt smooth, relaxed and unhurried all the way. I also felt a striking synergy/harmony among body parts. Time: 2:31. Possibly the fastest, definitely the best, 200 I've ever swum at Minnewaska.
Calculating SPL by dividing time by tempo, here are some metrics
Tempo Time SPL
1.00 2:55 175 strokes
0.95 2:38 166 strokes
0.90 2:31 167 strokes
Once again, my ability to control SPL while increasing tempo is pretty striking. Tempo increased by .05 between #6 and #8 but I added only 1 stroke.

My TI Story
Old 07-27-2012

cycosuicide

Love it Terry. Thanks so much for posting these things. In a world of "training hard" to get results, its so wonderful to see that a mindful more scientific approach does work.
Old 07-28-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Friday July 27 2800y at Lake Minnewaska
Tempo Time SPL
1.00 2:55 175 strokes
0.95 2:38 166 strokes
0.90 2:31 167 strokes
Once again, my ability to control SPL while increasing tempo is pretty striking. Tempo increased by .05 between #6 and #8 but I added only 1 stroke.
Great results Terry!...you must be very pleased.
Old 07-29-2012
Head Coach

Default Silky Synergy + Tempo = Another Fast Race

I swam the Point Lookout Mile this morning on Long Island. Like last week at Coney Island in Grimaldo's Mile I was able to find my groove fairly early. I maintained the same sense of 'silky synergy' I've achieved in the last couple of weeks, but I think my tempo was quicker today, after doing a good deal of practice with tempo faster than 1.0 sec/stroke. At the end of my warmup I swam some repeats of 100 strokes each at .98, .96, .94, .92. The faster my tempo got, the smoother I felt! I took that as a great sign.

Then I swam the race, placing 4th in a field of 70 in a time of 22:07, running up the finish chute right on the heels of 3rd place finisher Gilles Chalandon, one of the best OW swimmers in NYC. Dee-lighted!

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 07-28-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2012

CharlesCouturier

Well done!!
Old 08-02-2012

ian mac
Default What kind of yardage?

Terry,
As you know i have been enjoying reading your posts. It seems that you have sometimes been swimming twice/day and i was curious if you have stepped up your mileage/yardage over the summer trainining. Keep up the inspirational work!
ian mac
Old 08-04-2012
Head Coach

Ian
I think I've swum a double on two days this summer, maybe three. I don't think I exceeded 5k total volume on those days. My swimming volume has remained relatively light -- I've probably averaged less than 3k in my practices, and only 12k to 15k per week. But I get so energized by lake swimming (cooler water rejuvenates me) and outdoor swimming - fresh water, fresh air and natural light.
And racing each of the last three weeks has added a regular element of quality training. I think of racing--and particularly open water racing--as a specific task. And as with all tasks you do regularly, I am convinced the brain 'learns' to do the task more efficiently. I've noticed in prior OW seasons, that my racing performance -- how I felt and placed -- would be middling in June and steadily get sharper.

But this season I only had one race in June - a 2.5k in the Hudson that I did more socially than competitively. Then no racing until swimming a LCM meet at Ithaca College, where I swam pretty well in 800FR and 400IM, sandwiched around a too-casual 200 IM. I followed that by 3 OW races in 3 weeks.

I had another solid race today, placing 3d male and 5th overall in the Greenwich CT Island Beach 2-Mile with a field of about 70. I hadn't placed in top 10% since I was 55, and now 3 weeks in a row. It's due to 5 months ( Jan thru May) of super-slow, super-gentle swimming in Endless Pool focused on improving stability in torso, which helped with streamlining and control in 2BK, followed by 2 months working at steadily brisker tempos, during which I've been able to maintain stroke length and relaxation. Pretty heady stuff.

My TI Story
Old 08-25-2012
Head Coach

Default An Update - a great race and a great practice

I haven't posted in two weeks but the feeling of having a 'magic' season of OW swimming has continued. On Aug 11, I swam my 4th OW race in four weeks -- the Betsy Owens 2-Mile Cable Swim in Lake Placid, a race I've done annually for 10 to 12 years. I won the 60-64 age group and placed 10th overall (of 89)

One thing I like about the race is that the course is measured by a professional surveyor and conditions are fairly consistent so your time is a dependable performance gauge, allowing a meaningful comparison of one year with another. From that standpoint my time of 50:21 was highly satisfying since it matched times I recorded 10 years ago in my early 50s.

What I love even more is that Cable racing is probably even more dependent on strategy than is the grand prix racing done in the Olympics. The field starts in waves of 10 swimmers (fastest first) leaving at 30-second intervals. At the Betsy there were 9 waves. I was seeded 26th so I started in the 3d wave. The entire field is strung out close to the cable, so you're always in close quarters.

Those racing seriously for a 'podium' finish need to make multiple decisions -about drafting, passing and closing the gap to the next drafting opportunity -- in every 400m length of the cable. It's the closest thing in swimming to Nascar racing. I was intensely focused for every stroke and second. That intensity is incredibly addictive.

I hadn't won my age group at the Betsy since 2004, finishing behind good friend Bruce Gianniny--also 61--each year since 2005. In fact I don't think Bruce had ever been beaten by a peer at the Betsy. So you can imagine how satisfying it was to finally outswim a rival as worthy as Bruce.

Fast forward two weeks (I spent one of those weeks in Van Nuys CA at a TI Coach Certification Course), this morning I had the most amazing-feeling LCM practice. I swam the whole thing at restorative pace since I swam pretty hard with Willie Miller at Minnewaska last night. Here are the details.

Aug 26 2900LCM at Ulster County Pool
Tuneup 200 easy @ 37SPL.

Set #1 13 x 100 Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid (.1/.05)
1-4 Slow tempo from 1.30 to 1.60. in .1 increments
Strokes/100 dropped from 75 to 63
5-13 (I mistakenly did an extra 100 at 1.45) taking tempo from 1.55 to 1.20 in .05 increments.
At 1.30 I improved strokes from 75 to 71, and took 75 @ 1.20.

Set #2 14 x 100 Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid (.04/.02)
1-4 Slow tempo from 1.24 to 1.36 in .04 increments.
5-14 Take tempo from 1.24 to 1.15 in .02 increments (last should have been 1.16 but decided to finish @ 1.15) I finished this set taking 75 strokes @ 1.15 and the silky-powerful synergy I felt in my stroke was greater than I'd ever felt in the pool - taking in 47 years of experience!

Doing the math (multiplying tempo x beeps (including pushoff/turn time) my 1st 100 was 1:46.6, and my 27th 100 was 1:34.3, both at 75 strokes. I feel as if I've improved my form significantly this summer of moderate volume and intensity.

My TI Story
Old 08-30-2012
Head Coach

Default Best Set of 200s Ever at Minnewaska

I had an incredibly compelling practice at Lake Minnewaska yesterday evening. By the time I got into the lake I had only 32 minutes before it closed.

I did one 400-yard loop easy then decided to swim 10 x 200 on 3:00.
I set TT at 1.00 and started. The 1st was 2:50; 2nd was 2:48, 3rd was 2:47. I descended fairly continuously swimming the final two in 2:39 and 2:38.

I have only occasionally swum 200s in the 2:30s and, when I did, had to swim fairly intensively, with relatively generous rest and only a few repeats. In this set, my first 200 felt a bit too quick-and-rough and not sufficiently sustainable to hold up for a set of 10 on fairly short rest (i.e. only 10 seconds after #1). So I focused on making my stroke and kick more compact, to allow more time, and lighter to avoid moving water molecules.

With each repeat I could feel my neuromuscular system solving the puzzle and my stroke growing longer, smoother, firmer -- and more relaxed. As I did, I traveled a bit farther on each stroke and it took me fewer 1-second strokes to get to the other end of the line. By the end I'd subtracted 12 strokes (and thus 12 seconds) from my time. I was elated, ecstatic when I got out. I also knew I was better prepared for my next race, a 5k at Coney Island on Sept 8.

I cannot recall ever swimming a set of 200s this well at Minnewaska.

My TI Story