Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012

WFEGb

Hi Andy,

although being impressed by your stroke, especially the continuously foreward movement and the splash free entries, the own weaknesses are best seen by others...

1) Might it be your (too?) wide underwater stroke, which causes an u shape sometimes? (Sometimes I guess eliteswimmers show a similar u shape too, but they do when breathing on the very side and seem forming a round, streamlined bow...)

2) Anywhere on Youtube there was a tip for OW orientation. Looking straight ahead, when inhaling every third stroke then look down and streamline again the next two. (Since swimming with goggles I sometimes integrate a tiny nod when exhaling under water because going back to streamline appears simpler for me.)

3) Sometimes it seems to me your spearing is a little bit too shallow. Shoulder, elbow and hand straight horizontal with following difficulty to slit in the mailbox without pushing water down...

Thanks. Go on and keep us in touch with your progress.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 02-11-2012

tomoy

Florida? Open water swimming? Alligators?
Eeeek.
Old 02-11-2012

cycosuicide

Good for you, Andy. The fact that you are so open to analysis will ensure your success. Its not easy on the ego, but who cares about the ego. :)
Old 02-12-2012
Coach

CoachDave
Default Idea

I posted a reply to this and another of your videos on youtube, but I was wondering if we could get a look at your posture and position in superman glide and spearswitch?
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 02-12-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
IThe posture of your breath is good, but the timing is late. Up late and down late, causing a bounce and surging pull after breath (youtube reply quote)
Dave,

Thanks for this great advice, cause and effect analysis so helpful. I will try to get some shots of superman and spear switch too.
Old 02-12-2012

mjm
Default Symmetry

Do what Distance Dave wrote--over anything I post here. That being said here is what I see:

1. During right arm recovery the right elbow almost crosses over the centerline of the body. See your image. Your torso sinks a little. That is too much rotation. What will help is keeping the right elbow outside your bodyline during recovery. See Dave's image.

2. During left arm recovery the elbow is low. That is too little rotation to that side. Breathing to that side might help correct this.

3. The right arm crosses over the center while spearing forward. The left arm spears outside the shoulder. This along with #4 below causes your body to snake or curve and wastes energy going left and right instead of straight.

4. During the catch the left arm is straight and way outside the bodyline. The left arm also pushes down and it raises your head and torso. However, the up and down is less than the side to side.

While swimming with a high elbow catch and recovery the elbows bend and remain outside the bodyline. These might be good focal points for you.

Best regards. mjm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andy.jpg (62.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Dave.jpg (11.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by mjm : 02-13-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2012

andyinnorway
Default Thanks Dave

started stiff today and began with a 2.02 120yd without the TT

Put the TT back on for some 200's (240's actually) and managed to hold SPL down to a 2012 PR so very happy with that. Especially since the last 2 I focused on Dave's advice and rolled to breath earlier.

Meant I didn't drop as many beeps.
240s
1.14 - 3.52
1.14 - 3.50
1.14 - 3.51
1.12 - 3.48
1.10 - 3.46
1.08 - 3.42
1.06 - 3.36

I started doing the early breath halfway through the 1.08 and that shows in the time improvements.

Am using my short morning swims to work on my faults.

late breath,
assymetric roll - affecting both recoveries
wide arm left arm pull
right arm crossover

I do wonder sometimes if persuing too many SPL TT goals can limit the intermediate swimmers ability to work on improving focal points?

Very nice to get a PR for the year though, its amazing how hard it is to make small improvements. Have also been off sugar products for a couple of days and have felt my energy levels soar as a consequence.