Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009

naj
Default "Parting The Water" The Movie!

Hey Folks check out this trailer for the documentary "Parting The Waters"

Here is Synopsis of the film and go see it when it comes to your neck of the woods!

More than 50 years after landmark civil rights decisions opened schools and voting booths, fewer than 1% of competitive swimmers in the U.S. are black and Latino. Parting the Waters is the story of African-American championship swimmers Maritza Correia and Cullen Jones, and the young black and Latino swimmers coming up behind them –– as they challenge old myths, fears, and stereotypes to break down the last vestiges of segregation.

Last edited by naj : 05-10-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hey Folks check out this trailer for the documentary "Parting The Waters"

Here is Synopsis of the film and go see it when it comes to your neck of the woods!

More than 50 years after landmark civil rights decisions opened schools and voting booths, fewer than 1% of competitive swimmers in the U.S. are black and Latino. Parting the Waters is the story of African-American championship swimmers Maritza Correia and Cullen Jones, and the young black and Latino swimmers coming up behind them –– as they challenge old myths, fears, and stereotypes to break down the last vestiges of segregation.
Sounds cool. BTW, what is the theory behind the lack of competitive latino swimmers? I don't imagine it's as involved as the theory behind the lack of black swimmers.
Old 05-11-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Sounds cool. BTW, what is the theory behind the lack of competitive latino swimmers? I don't imagine it's as involved as the theory behind the lack of black swimmers.
I'm going to venture a guess and say that the reason why there aren't more Latino/a competitive swimmers is due to finance and possibly language in certain instances. But issues of cultural insensitivity have arisen. I have a number of friends that have told me some pretty horrible stories.
Old 05-11-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
I'm going to venture a guess and say that the reason why there aren't more Latino/a competitive swimmers is due to finance and possibly language in certain instances. But issues of cultural insensitivity have arisen. I have a number of friends that have told me some pretty horrible stories.
I guess we need to see the documentary. Hmm...I can relate to financial issues. Cultural insensitivity? (Thoughts of culture at different levels have been on my mind recently.)