Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012

cantswim
Default Lesson 3: Water getting in nose

I'm having trouble with "Lesson 3: Breathing Easy" in the DVD. When I do the rotation drills to air, once I reach air, water gets in my nose. I think it is water that is running on my face. It's just a little water, but enough to ruin the drills.

Anyone know why this could be happening?
Old 07-27-2012

timmct

Just a thought but are you exhaling from your nose as you break the surface? If you do that, it should clear most of the water from your nose. I still get some water occasionally but making sure that I'm forcefully exhaling as my face breaks the surface seems to have helped for me.
Old 07-28-2012

cantswim

I actually fixed the problem by keeping my eyes closed during the rotation to air. It helps with relaxing, focusing on keeping a straight body line, and focusing on steadily bubbling from the nose. I noticed even Terry closes his eyes in these drills in the DVD.
Old 07-28-2012

mmcbrien

I believe closing your eyes is a mistake and you should work to keep them open...crucial in developing timing of breath and stroke. Blow bubbles from nose as you rotate to clear water with eyes open
Old 07-28-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantswim View Post
I'm having trouble with "Lesson 3: Breathing Easy" in the DVD. When I do the rotation drills to air, once I reach air, water gets in my nose. I think it is water that is running on my face. It's just a little water, but enough to ruin the drills.

Anyone know why this could be happening?
This is pretty common "Can't swim". It takes time and practice to seperate the two. So that you don't interrupt the importance of the drill with water in the nose, use a nose plug (clamp) and exhale/inhale through mouth for now. Master the drill through many repititions, then try without the clamp when you feel ready. Many of my students still continue to use nose clamp pool and open water; like ear plugs, not really a crutch - more of a personal preference.

Stuart
Old 08-01-2012

cantswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbrien View Post
I believe closing your eyes is a mistake and you should work to keep them open...crucial in developing timing of breath and stroke. Blow bubbles from nose as you rotate to clear water with eyes open
I think it's okay to do it in the drills because:

1) With eyes open I kind of get dizzy, feels like I'm flipping upside down even when I'm not.
2) Terry closes his eyes too :)

In swimming I don't think there is any advantage, but in the drills where you have to rotate all the way from on your stomach to on your back, I feel it helps.

I'm getting better about keeping the water out of my nose, but it still happens sometimes. I feel I have to take a really big breathe in order to have enough air to blow out on the rotation.

Either way, I'm not hanging myself up on it too much. I'm moving on to the other lessons and doing just fine.
Old 08-01-2012

CharlesCouturier

I really like this closing your eyes thing as a means (among others) to learn to relax. Well done. Some day, you'll open them. Keep relaxing! It's the most important way to rapidly enjoy your swims.
Old 08-02-2012

tomoy

When a normal soft exhale through the nose isn't enough to keep water from coming in, I sometimes scrunch my nose a little a-lá 'mr sourpuss' or 'stinky face' to narrow the nasal passage a little.

That way, I exhale the same volume of air, but push it out a little creating pressure through the smaller passage, and that added pressure helps keep water out. Might look funny, but it helps during flip turns for instance.