Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012

cantswim
Default New Freestyle DVD better than old one?

Hi. I wanted to learn to swim and so I bought the Freestyle Made Easy DVD (2004 version) on amazon based on recommendation from Tim Ferriss.

It seems too partner dependent and I am having big problems with the drills due to a weak kick I think.

So I have two questions:

1) Is the "Total Immersion Self-Coached Workshop: Perpetual Motion Freestyle in 10 Lessons" the newer version/closest thing to the Freestyle Made Easy DVD that I bought?

2) Do you think this DVD will be better for me?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-08-2012

swimmermike
Default DVD choice

CAntswim

Great question, but I'm not sure how anyone can answer--we'll see. And I'll try.

I have both DVDs, and think each of them has important things to say, but says them differently. The second is much more detailed and divides exercises into smaller microcomponents. This is useful if you have a swim buddy--your comment--to whom you can hand a checksheet. You can return the favor.

The first (not Terry's actual first) requires less obsessiveness, but some of that trait is just abjectly necessary in this practice. No way around it. There are too many influences that make us want to "swim like humans," and unlearning those simply takes focus and repetition.

If you are specifically asking about "weak kick," I think either is good, neither is better. But I'd start with the Freestyle Made easy because, overall, it is probably more accessible for you, starting out.
Old 07-08-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

The 10 lesson is specifically designed for a self coached swimmer. You can visit the digital shop and buy it in download form for less than the cost of the physical DVD.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 07-09-2012

cantswim

Right now what I think my problem with the FME DVD is that I have a weak kick. The first exercise "hiding your head" I can do for a few feet but then my legs sink into the water unless I am kicking very hard (but I don't because the DVD says I should be kicking smoothly and relaxed). I can't do the "sweet spot" drill. I turn but my knuckles never break the water, I think because I am not parallel with the water.

The DVD says that if you have a weak kick these drills will be hard, and recommends using a partner to tow you as you work on your kick by practicing the vertical kicking exercise.

When I watch the "vertical kick" examples, the guy and the girl look very relaxed while kicking, even with their arms crossed on their chest. Even if I kick as hard as I can and use my arms for help, I can't stay up at all, I just sink. I am a skinny male and about 5'10.

I've only been at it for 3 days now, so I will continue practicing unless anyone has another recommendation? Right now my practice sessions have been 10-15 mins long of me doing nothing but trying to get the vertical kicking exercise down. I'm trying to move my legs in different ways, point my toes, etc, but have made no progress at all.

What are the drills like in the new DVD? Will I be able to complete them even with my problem or is it something I am going to have to overcome either way?

Also, where is the virtual sotre; I can only find the hard copy via the store link on the top of this website.

thanks a lot guys/gals
Old 07-09-2012

CoachToby

Cantswim. Skinny people generally find getting into balance slightly more challenging and poor kick mechanics will compound this. Here is some general advice on kicking: Try not to use quads and hamstrings to drive the kick - this creates drag and usually causes the hips to flex slightly, which can drive the legs down. Keep the knees relaxed and use abdominals and glutes to sweep the upper leg forwards and backwards, adding a flick of the toe on the forward sweep. This movement will extend the hips and should make your legs feel a bit lighter - Superman Flutter is a good drill to work on this. The required movement is counterintuitive for most so practise with an inquisitive mind. If difficulties continue some 1-2-1 coaching might be worthwhile. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2012

Scotty
Default Try drilling with fins

Cantswim:

I also have both DVDs and like other forum members, believe that the DVDs complement rather than duplicate each other. One day I got ambitious and was going to compare and contrast them, lesson-by-lesson, but never did.

I started TI with a very weak kick (I was 5'11 and about 165 at the time). I became very frustrated with the drills because I would sink and could hardly accomplish any forward movement.

As an example, when practicing the skating drill I would stay in one place regardless of how hard I kicked. I would get winded and eventually sink. I purchased a pair of short fins which helped strengthen the kick and ankle flexibility. Most importantly, I was able to move through the drills and gain a sense of balance, streamline, and propulsion.

I weaned myself off this practice by incrementally including a length of skating without fins. So if my drills included 100 yards of skating, I would do one 25 yard length without the fins. Eventually I dropped the fins completely.

BTW, always include skating in your swim routine. It is fundamental to the TI technique and not just "beginner stuff."

So buy some fins and happy laps. I'm sure some members will have suggestions on various brands.

Scotty
Old 07-09-2012

cantswim

Those are some very helpful replies! Thank you everyone who has posted so far.

One question:

When doing the "hiding your head" drill in the FME DVD (hands at your side near your legs, lying on your back, gentle kick, water touching corners of goggles), how long can you go? I can only go a few seconds, moving only a few feet, before my legs sink. It seems the guys and girls in the FME DVD can do it indefinitely. Just wondering if this is an exercise that is bound to fail after a certain time/distance, or is it possible to do it non stop with a gentle kick?

I am also about 5'10-11, but only 145 lbs. I am skinny with no muscle, and very inflexible. I have less than average flexibility.

I ordered the new DVD and will take a look into that, and I am considering the fins too.

Thanks a ton.
Old 07-18-2012

cantswim

Ok. Got the new DVD.

I watched the first two lessons so far. I actually think I can do these drills!

I think they will be much easier and better for my body time (not buoyant, skinny, weak kick), so I will try tomorrow and report back!
Old 07-21-2012

newbie2012
Default digital shop link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
The 10 lesson is specifically designed for a self coached swimmer. You can visit the digital shop and buy it in download form for less than the cost of the physical DVD.
Do you have a link to the digital shop ? I only find the physical DVD, can't find any downloadable form...
Old 07-22-2012

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2012 View Post
Do you have a link to the digital shop ? I only find the physical DVD, can't find any downloadable form...

It's here, though it took a good 5 minutes of constant clicking to find it. It's linked from just a bit of text at the end of the "What's New" section on the homepage. Didn't see it at first because all the surrounding red text is jarring. I wish the website was more modern and aesthetically pleasing... or even just useable, to be quite frank.

http://shop.tiswim.net/us/