Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009

ironanne
Default Any tips on helping the hip rotation

Hi All,

This is my first time posting. I am new to swimming with a purpose and am currently on my 5th hour of T1 workshop. The last thing we did was the zipper switch drill. I totally understand the whole concept of getting the hip to drive first and have read numerous articles, watched videos etc. But I seem to be spearing my hand before the hip engages, and lack power behind my stroke. I've been doing the drills, underswitch, and really focusing on initiating the drive with the hip, (high hip drives down, etc.)
I've recently been reading more about the 2-beat kick. I'm not sure what kind of kick I'm doing now, or how many beats. I haven't gotten to that yet in my lessons.

So, my question is....any other body cues to use, or drills, to help isolate the hip drive?

I've enjoying reading all the threads and have learned so much. Thank you!!

Anne
Old 03-13-2009

Jamwhite

When you do your underswitch or zipperswitch drill, when your arm thrusts out, kick with the opposite leg. When you are swimming wholestroke, if you take out all the other kicks except this strong kick, then you are doing a two-beat kick.

Two-beat kicking requires excellent balance because your legs cannot be used to keep you high in the water, instead, you learn to time them with the recovery arm so that the kick rotate the hips while the arm rotates the shoulders.

When you do this, your patient arm, already in the water, should just naturally move into its proper position with little effort at all on your part.
Old 03-13-2009

stmada

I have a similar problem as IronAnne. I understand the whole concept of the hip rotation driving the recovering arm and the fact that the hip rotation is in turn driven by the two beat kick with the opposite (bottom) leg driving the spearing of the arm (left left drives right arm, etc). I feel the rotation when I kick my right leg, but my left left just can't seem to get it together! Either I have to do kind of a "wind up" with my left leg when trying to drive my right arm or I actually find myself kicking with the right leg again during whole stroke.

I've trying to get back to basics and work on this in underswitch. Help! Any suggestions welcome.Thanks.
Old 03-13-2009

ironanne

Thanks for your explanation. I will try it this weekend. I have another lesson on Tuesday, so I can follow up with my instructor. I'm thinking that this is the reason some strokes have felt good, and others a little out of sync.
Old 03-13-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironanne View Post
So, my question is....any other body cues to use, or drills, to help isolate the hip drive?
You can think of it as driving your hip down, or you can think of it as rotating the other hip up. One thing that I think of is moving my hip out of the way as my pulling (or "anchoring") hand moves toward my hip. I also noticed that getting the hip to rotate causes my non-kicking leg to rise to the surface for the next kick, which I think is a good thing. It's like horizontal jogging in the water.

Last edited by shuumai : 07-06-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Removed invalid link.
Old 03-14-2009

Jamwhite

Another focal point that might help is the focus on the end-position.

When you finish your 2-beat kick + recovery spearing, you should be on the opposite side with a weighless arm stretching out towards the wall in front of you. I find focusing on getting this stretching after each rotation is helpful to keep my stroke together, especially as I speed up.

When I am racing, my usual focus is just to get into side-lying stretched out position one side after another.
Old 03-14-2009

Rhoda

Remember that as you are kicking forward with one leg, the other should be kicking backward, using the hamstring & gluteal muscles. This keeps things balanced and switches the hips as well.
Old 03-14-2009

learninginisrael

I'm another one who's got one coordinated leg and one leg that doesn't have a clue. All of what you're all saying makes a lot of sense; the hard part is getting all my body parts to listen up!
Old 03-14-2009

Amazon
Default learning 2 beat kick

This is my first posting EVER! I'm teaching myself TI, and am up to triple underswitch. Just this week I chose to focus on learning the 2 beat kick. What finally worked for me was to NOT THINK or worry about my head position, arms, timing, etc, and just imagined myself cross county skiing as I PLOWED through the water until the arms and kick felt in synch. Once I felt what that was like, I was able to drill with the other factors in mind. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
This is my first posting EVER! I'm teaching myself TI, and am up to triple underswitch. Just this week I chose to focus on learning the 2 beat kick. What finally worked for me was to NOT THINK or worry about my head position, arms, timing, etc, and just imagined myself cross county skiing as I PLOWED through the water until the arms and kick felt in synch. Once I felt what that was like, I was able to drill with the other factors in mind. Hope this helps.
Amazon this is a good point your making, try not to concentrate on every single drill all at once, just focus on one or two things at a given practice. Like you I just concentrated on the two-beat one day and after awhile everything else fell into place simply because I didn't start freaking out about the other stuff.