Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012

cantswim

I spent more time on the drills today and think I'm getting better. I'm becoming more conscious of different head positions and how they affect everything.

Patience is the key!

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012

newbie2012

I'm not sure about your swimming background and history, and what material you're using to learn TI. I for one have both the workshop DVD and the book. The book is an earlier version of the training exercises, so it starts in a different way, but it might help you if you have problems doing superman glide.

The first exercise in the book is floating on your back ... To me this seams easier and simpler than the superman glide, you might want to try this one until you're comfortable and relaxed without sinking. Than add some gentle leg kick, and maybe than get back to superman glide.

Doing superman glide, what I've noticed is that relaxation is quite important, and head position is quite important. I think the head position will improve your floatability the most, but it's probably a sweet spot that you should find by trying different positions. I for one could feel a better flotability when I wasn't looking straight down in the water, I was probably bending a bit too much the neck. trying to look slightly forward made my head probably stay more inline with my spine and I felt floating was very easy, just had to add some kicking and I was advancing without much effort.

Don't know how much kicking you're adding - if any - but try to add almost none and just float first.

beginner here, so can't help more than that, hope it helps some ...
Old 08-12-2012

cantswim

I actually found the complete opposite. The exercises from the book/first DVD (the ones on your back) were much harder for me. The newest DVD that starts everything in superman glide was much easier.

I'm working on relaxing, focusing on the details, and most importantly, being patient, and believe I will see much improvement in the future.

Thanks!