Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal
Default Hearing Impaired, Unable to Hear Tempo Trainer. A Solution!

I want to give a big shout out to very active (and senior) TI forum member, WFEGb (aka Werner), for creating low frequency tempo tunes 1.0 - 1.4 in increments of .02 that can be loaded on to any water-proof mp3 player. The tempo tune leads in with a voice that says what tempo is, i.e. "one point one six" (1.16) followd by the low frequency chimes on that tempo - grrreaat!!

Coach Mandy and I held a TI Advanced Skills workshop in San Mateo, CA last Saturday and one of the students attending was hearing impaired and could hear very little without a hearing aid - she couldn't hear the Tempo Trainer at all even with her hearing aid. She was very good at reading lips and body language.

I loaded each tempo tune on to a waterproof mp3 and found she could hear the low frequency tempo clearly at full volume and could participate in the workshop tempo set! She couldn't have been happier and she was so excited when she discovered dropping 4 strokes (22 to 18) with focus and on hearing tempo!

Those of us that can hear very well may forget how lucky we are to be able to hear the Tempo Trainer clearly above and below surface. I'm not sure where my stroke would be without a tempo training, and I rarely swim without one, even in open water.

This student was now our fifth with hearing loss that couldn't hear the higher frequency "BEEP" from the Tempo Trainer. What we've done in the past with hearing loss swimmers was march backwards briskly (in pool) along side tapping tempo in the middle of the their backs. This worked but was very combersome for coach and distracting for swimmer, and it was especially difficult to march next to a faster swimer trying to tap tempo on their back without interrupting their stroke. The San Mateo workshop had to be held in a comp pool (not shallow) this last weekend, so there was no way to tap tempo on her back. Also students with hearing loss left previous workshops knowing they could not practice using a tempo trainer and the coach would no longer be there to tap tempo on their back - they seemed so very sad. That is until now :-)

Dear Werner: . Thank you for your generosity, willing and positive spirt - AWESOME! You have opened up an entire new to world to swimmers with hearing loss!!

THANK YOU!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 11-25-2013

Osmond

Way to go coach! If you don't mind Ill put that one in my bag of tricks for future reference.
What is it they say, necessity is the mother of creativity?
Old 11-26-2013

WFEGb

Hello Stuart,

very glad to read this and could be of some help for other TI enthusiasts.

In the last nearly two years TI became so valuable for me that I'm pleased to give back a tiny thing.

Well heard bongs and best regards,
Werner
Old 11-26-2013
Coach

CoachTeresa

Werner,

A big thank you from British Columbia, Canada. I regularly have clients that are not able to hear the beep. This will be a breakthrough for them. How kind of you to share.
Your generosity is truly appreciated!

Teresa
Old 11-29-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
I want to give a big shout out to very active (and senior) TI forum member, WFEGb (aka Werner), for creating low frequency tempo tunes 1.0 - 1.4 in increments of .02 that can be loaded on to any water-proof mp3 player. The tempo tune leads in with a voice that says what tempo is, i.e. "one point one six" (1.16) followd by the low frequency chimes on that tempo - grrreaat!!

Coach Mandy and I held a TI Advanced Skills workshop in San Mateo, CA last Saturday and one of the students attending was hearing impaired and could hear very little without a hearing aid - she couldn't hear the Tempo Trainer at all even with her hearing aid. She was very good at reading lips and body language.

I loaded each tempo tune on to a waterproof mp3 and found she could hear the low frequency tempo clearly at full volume and could participate in the workshop tempo set! She couldn't have been happier and she was so excited when she discovered dropping 4 strokes (22 to 18) with focus and on hearing tempo!

Those of us that can hear very well may forget how lucky we are to be able to hear the Tempo Trainer clearly above and below surface. I'm not sure where my stroke would be without a tempo training, and I rarely swim without one, even in open water.

This student was now our fifth with hearing loss that couldn't hear the higher frequency "BEEP" from the Tempo Trainer. What we've done in the past with hearing loss swimmers was march backwards briskly (in pool) along side tapping tempo in the middle of the their backs. This worked but was very combersome for coach and distracting for swimmer, and it was especially difficult to march next to a faster swimer trying to tap tempo on their back without interrupting their stroke. The San Mateo workshop had to be held in a comp pool (not shallow) this last weekend, so there was no way to tap tempo on her back. Also students with hearing loss left previous workshops knowing they could not practice using a tempo trainer and the coach would no longer be there to tap tempo on their back - they seemed so very sad. That is until now :-)

Dear Werner: . Thank you for your generosity, willing and positive spirt - AWESOME! You have opened up an entire new to world to swimmers with hearing loss!!

THANK YOU!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
I'd love to get access to those tunes. are they available for download somewhere? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013

WFEGb

Hello CoachDavidShen,

Stuart put them to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/djjhals4u...WS/tempo_tunes

Just a request: Nobody should pay for it and if anyone finds it usefull I'd be glad receiving a handwritten postcard from hometown.

Stuart requested some additional, I'll send them this Weekend.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 11-30-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello CoachDavidShen,

Stuart put them to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/djjhals4u...WS/tempo_tunes

Just a request: Nobody should pay for it and if anyone finds it usefull I'd be glad receiving a handwritten postcard from hometown.

Stuart requested some additional, I'll send them this Weekend.

Best regards,
Werner
Werner thanks so much for these. Just to clarify- the file name is S1-14.mp3 - i assume that means the tempo is 1.14s? and if so, then the tempos range from 1.14s to 1.40s?

Thanks again!

Coach Dshen
Old 11-30-2013

WFEGb

Hello CoachDavidShen,

you're right. There's a synthetic voice at start of each, calling out what's about...

Best regards,
Werner

Last edited by WFEGb : 11-30-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2013
Coach

CoachTeresa

Werner, I LOVE the postcard idea!
May I ask Stuart to share your address privately on a coaches conversation so your address isn't on this public forum?
Old 12-05-2013

WFEGb

Hello CoachTeresa,

yes, Stuart has my home address and may give it away to any "tempo-tune-user".

Best regards,
Werner