Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012

smat

Andy. Do not understand your last point about going back to my old stroke and please don't joke about going to other sports. I can just about speak English let alone another language. Had a bad day today. 2 hours drilling with a very patient mentor. He had to leave so i stayed and tried a 200m swim in 50m pool, DESPAIR... 5.02sec. I know Terry answers on this blog sometimes and i was going to start this on a new thread, but do you think that some people are not suited to swimming . Is my body type wrong? Have i wasted 2 years . You are right about effort because if i had put the same effort into running or biking as i have with trying to get better at swimming i would be an age group superstar. I know you was joking , but it is resonating with me about giving up.
Old 10-17-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
Andy. Do not understand your last point about going back to my old stroke and please don't joke about going to other sports. I can just about speak English let alone another language. Had a bad day today. 2 hours drilling with a very patient mentor. He had to leave so i stayed and tried a 200m swim in 50m pool, DESPAIR... 5.02sec. I know Terry answers on this blog sometimes and i was going to start this on a new thread, but do you think that some people are not suited to swimming . Is my body type wrong? Have i wasted 2 years . You are right about effort because if i had put the same effort into running or biking as i have with trying to get better at swimming i would be an age group superstar. I know you was joking , but it is resonating with me about giving up.
Actually I wasn't joking but was making a serious point that swimming isn't a sport where the guy who tries hardest makes the most progress but rather either the one who finds it easy or the one who takes a road of patient study.

Let's get back to some other basics. The only drill I do is superman glide as I found the others difficult and frustrating but I still call myself a TI swimmer.

Instead I digest the information in the books and DVD's practice on dry land and then take different focal points to the pool for each practice.

My point about your old stroke was in reference to a post I thought you made where you were going to 'go back to swimming to way you used to do' (the 7.00 minute 400m pace), I just wondered what that would be. Or put another way, what do you think is happening in the water now that makes you considerably slower?

Since you swim regularly with friends then getting a mobile phone upload of some lengths of full stroke will be your best way forward. There are a number of coaches on this forum who have read your posts and would be happy to offer some great comment if they get to see you swim.