Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012

WFEGb
Default Glad but not happy...

Hallo,

looking back a year after my first TI-guided (at least I call it so) continues freestyle km I'm glad but not happy and not really satisfied.

Last week I got my this year goal with exact 20minutes for a km. Well, it was more coincidence by following an other swimmer on 25m laps who got out of pool after 600m or so... (I normally swim in a 50m pool so it's a little fraud.)

In this year I cut approximately 10 seconds off my average 100m session time (still very slow with 2:03 to 2:10 for 100m). My former SPL went down to 39-41 from 45-47. That's not bad for me although it took nearly a year. And my "powerful very long strokes" went down from 33 SPL to 29-30 SPL (can still swim it maximal for 100m!). My SGs pushed from ground grew from 6m to some 12m.

But now I'm swimming in the dark. Sometimes

- my SPL becomes 38 for a lap or two
- I get the great flow feeling in my stroke for a lap
- I'm able to swim 45+min instead of 30-35min (if enough time)

But it seems impossible to hold these for more than a lap. Seems when I think, be aware, don't do anything differently. The tiniest correction to any noticed change is the first step to break it.

Sometimes I'd like to be a 10%-swimust, because then I'd knew by 150% what's right or wrong when trying this or that. But I don't know where to focus and how to decide what's better or worse. And the worst is there's no TI-coach in range.

Any hints for improvement to the better are welcome.

Regards,
Werner
Old 08-29-2012

andyinnorway

Werner,

I think a year of training is a typical landmark to question your approach and progress. I was there a bit earlier in the year too.

It doesn't hurt to have lots of records to look at rather than a few, this helps to compare your progress in different ways.

I measure my pb times for 100,200,400,800 and 1600m

I also look at things like being able to swim certain times at slower and slower stroke rate, or my ability to swim 100m repeats at certain speeds with reduced intervals.

The two big improvements I have made in the 12-18 month period is

1. swim precise push off and turns with my TT so I know my interval times when I hold SPL. (this stopped me over reaching the last stroke to artificially hold a lower SPL)

2. swim to precise rest intervals e.g. last year I was swimming a lot of the popular 4x25,3x50,2x75,1x100 sets but resting until I felt ready to go again. Now I swim these off a specific interval repeat time (currently 30s per length).

I found these two things helped me a lot with focus and fitness.

finally, try not to worry about holding the good lengths, just celebrate them, as soon as we worry we tense up. Year 2 requires a patient plateau but I think the surge up afterward is a big one (I'm waiting) :)
Old 08-30-2012

WFEGb

Thanks Andy,

think you're very right. But your improvements are far away from what's reachable for me than being sought. I'll strive that way.

But going some steps on this way I'd like to play around a little. And there I'm helpless to decide what's right or wrong in my stroke feelings because the changes are too small.

For example: I realize my left recovering arm is tensed a little bit. Relaxing it leads to little (more) splashes at my left elbow when spearing the water... That's where confusion starts sometimes. Relax? Splash? More rotation? Deeper spear?

Or: Where should I focus? While rotating let the upper hip fall down or pull the lower hip up. Curious they are different feelings for me, but my wife can't see any difference from outside the pool.

Terry will know which tiniest changes are the best for his stroke and goes on the right path patiently. I'm anxious taking wrong ways that would be annoying and wasted patience. But may be I've to take that risk. Sigh!

And these are just the things which make TI and swimming so interesting for me. Seem to be addicted after this 18 months. No more able to swim a lap without focus. At least counting my strokes unconsciously...

Regards,
Werner