Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2018

Rajan
Default Timing of Rotation of Mouth with respect to Shoulder

Hi!

It would be great if some one help me in the following:

It is said that mouth should follow the shoulder for breathing.

I would like to know when the mouth should move with respect to the start of shoulder movement for breathing:

1) When recovery hand touches the water at mail slot. At this point rotation occur as gravity pulls down and leading arm shoulder start moving out. Does at this point, mouth follow the leading hand shoulder ?

or

2) When recovery hand dips in water, here hip drive and kick occurs and recovery hand shoulder further moves out. Does at this point, mouth start following the leading arm shoulder ? or

This question arose because I see leading arm shoulder's movement in two parts first because of gravity pull and further because of two beat kick.

Regards

Rajan
Old 05-26-2018

borate

Grab air as the recovery arm leaves the hip, and the body is at maximum rotation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JukMa6-V1pE
Old 05-26-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Rajan,

Really all of the above are good focal points. Chin follows shoulder, use high side arm to breath, etc. And as Borate noted, you should be inhaling as high side arm exits the water at hip where rotation completes. The main thing is use a focal to connect the head to body rotation, body begins rotation, head is going with it. Allow the shoulders and high side arm to do the timing, not think about where the head is at in relation to the shoulders/arms.

Cheers

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Old 05-27-2018

Rajan

Thanks for the replies. Actually in my first post, I wanted to ask when to start rotating neck/mouth with respect to shoulder as mentioned in point number 1 or 2, when eyes are looking down at the floor tiles so that I could breathe in when recovery starts. It was not when to breath in. Sorry I could not write in a clear way.

Regards
Rajan
Old 05-27-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Rajan,

When the body starts rotating the head is going with, no delay. Think the head is connected to the shoulder and shoulder can't leave without it. Get the breath early with shoulder and get it quick.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Old 05-28-2018

Rajan

Could you please tell.me, when.does body rotation starts. When.recovery hand touches the mail slot?

QUOTE=CoachStuartMcDougal;65586]Hi Rajan,

When the body starts rotating the head is going with, no delay. Think the head is connected to the shoulder and shoulder can't leave without it. Get the breath early with shoulder and get it quick.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
[/quote]
Old 05-28-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

In short yes, but the rotation start is subject to tempo, wingspan and momentum of high-side arm. Depending on swimmer, transition (rotation) begins at fingertip entry, or when wrist deep, or as much as elbow deep. But if you want to use fingertip entry to trigger head/chin when to follow shoulder, that's a probably a good focal point to use to make sure head follows the shoulder to air with no delay.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Old 05-28-2018

Rajan

Thanks. This is what I wanted to get comfirmation from your side with regard to my original question. Now a confusion arises that when recovery hand touches the water, I start moving my head following shoulder and now after that when hand dips in water, should I then kick to rotate further ?

Regards
Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
In short yes, but the rotation start is subject to tempo, wingspan and momentum of high-side arm. Depending on swimmer, transition (rotation) begins at fingertip entry, or when wrist deep, or as much as elbow deep. But if you want to use fingertip entry to trigger head/chin when to follow shoulder, that's a probably a good focal point to use to make sure head follows the shoulder to air with no delay.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Old 05-28-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Rajan,

Try to think of it as one coordinated movement: high-side arm entry triggers rotation from pelvis and snapping through leg to the toes. Don't think of it as independent actions. Much like our terrestrial counterpart of walking or running; we don't think the positions of arms and legs relative to one another, that happens naturally through the pelvis. Right arm swings forward as left leg swing forward connected through pelvis. Even in walking/running/sprinting, the arms trigger the legs to move (faster).

Hope the helps

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com