Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2017
jw

Default Should be in the pool, but it makes me nauseous

I have been swimming for 70 years doing what comes naturally. Mostly snorkeling, scuba and a bit of pool work in pre-teens.
Today I tried to do Drill 1. Could not move without fins and then with fins got nauseous and had to stop. Swimming on my back with fins is my favorite thing so I don't understand the nausea. I am thinking of using Dramamine. Any other suggestions? I don't want to stop. TIA.
Old 03-02-2017
Abdargush

I apologize, I do not know what the Drill 1 is, nor do I know anything about your condition.

However, what you describe in your post reminded me of nausea relating to seasickness. Are your eyes open when you swim on your belly? It is usually said that sighting a fixed reference point (for instance the horizon) helps reducing seasickness (the same for carsickness). The discrepancy between the signals coming from the cochlea and the eyes (moving without seeing that movement) tends to make people nauseous. I thought that it might be related to what you experience. Maybe not?
Old 03-02-2017
jw

Default Drill 1 is the very first Drill in "Total Immersion" by Laughlin and Delves

Drill 1 is the very first Drill in "Total Immersion" by Laughlin and Delves. I thought that was the bible of the Total Immersion movement. Drill 1 is "Basic Balance on Your Back". I do think that my nausea may be because when I am floating on my back I have no visual cues, just a featureless blue sky. Similarly a boater might have no visual cues depending on the state of sea and sky. A boater might then find that fixing on the horizon is helpful.
I am subject to seasickness in spite of the fact that I have spent lots of time on and in the sea. I plan to use Dramamine for my next attempt at Drill 1.
Thank you for your interest.
Old 03-02-2017

Danny

I am no expert in these matters, but if floating on your back with no visual reference point makes you sick, I would skip Drill 1 or look for a replacement for it. If you are trying to learn freestyle, the real question is whether or not you get sick when you are swimming face down or on your side. So that is the first test I would do.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Drills in any of these books are not absolutely necessary to learn to swim this way. If you have problems with Drill 1, you can still learn to swim without doing Drill 1, but doing the others. I think any of the swim coaches would agree with this. Taking medicine in order to learn to swim sounds to me like a bad idea and I personally don't believe it is necessary.
Old 03-02-2017

IngeA

Some get sick when water rinses the ears. Earplugs can help then. But if you are comfortable on your back, I don't know if that's the problem.
Old 03-04-2017
liolio

Well it seems you are quite a mature guy so I would check a doctor or proper physician therapist.
You may have crystal in your inner ears that got moved by the usual postion you took.
I think there are way to move the head so such crystals go where they should (and the body get rid of them). SUch crystals can cause vertigo.
Old 03-04-2017

borate

The Epley maneuver. Search for it.

May or may not be your answer, but it's worth researching.
Old 03-05-2017

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
The Epley maneuver. Search for it.

May or may not be your answer, but it's worth researching.
Before doing this, see if the dead man float on your face causes nausea too. If it doesn't, problem solved, You'll probably be ok doing superman, fish, skate, etc.