Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017

tomoy

Yes. It is so.

I think that you can't begin your breath too soon. So even if it's rotation generated by gravity, it is a good time to virtually connect your chin to that 6-inch hook attached to your shoulder. You are already in skate with your chin near to the lead arm's shoulder, so any rotation on the breathing stroke can pull your chin with it. No need to wait for anything.
Old 07-15-2017

Rajan

This was what I had been thinking before I posted this question. I wanted to cross verify my understanding on it. But now I think how difficult is it to maintain two things :

1). First get ready to turn your head for breathing when gravity pulls you down.
2) Immediately after that, when hand enters the water, get ready to kick downward.

I cannot make the balance between the two. So to avoid this, what I do, I don't kick downward at the time of breathing so that I could concentrate only on breathing as per point number one, ignoring point no. 2 after that.

Is there any remedy for this ? Awaiting for the solution from the members of this forum? Otherwise, I will have to wait for another TI workshop being organized after two months in India.

Regards

Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
Yes. It is so.

I think that you can't begin your breath too soon. So even if it's rotation generated by gravity, it is a good time to virtually connect your chin to that 6-inch hook attached to your shoulder. You are already in skate with your chin near to the lead arm's shoulder, so any rotation on the breathing stroke can pull your chin with it. No need to wait for anything.

Last edited by Rajan : 07-15-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2017

borate

Timings aren't set in stone, of course, and vary slightly with swimmer, style and speed.

As viewed from the perspective of the feet, the two beat kick and breath would follow this pattern...

The left arm is extended, the right hand is about to exit the water and the body has begun to rotate counter-clockwise. Take a quick breath to the right.

As the right hand enters the water the left hand is pulling and the body is rotating clockwise. Kick with the left foot (same side as the pull). This aids in rotation - shifting weight to the right side as that arm drives to full extension.

Now a breath can be taken to the left. Same strategy, opposite side.

Last edited by borate : 07-15-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2017

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
This was what I had been thinking before I posted this question. I wanted to cross verify my understanding on it. But now I think how difficult is it to maintain two things :

1). First get ready to turn your head for breathing when gravity pulls you down.
Regards Rajan

I think you may be overthinking this . There should not be any gravity pulling you down when you turn to breathe .You will rotate to the air for a breath and then your head turns back down just before your hand enters the water .

Dave
Old 07-16-2017

Arvind Oak

I found that seeing a video of myself swimming really helps me understand where I need to improve coordination. With a phone camera, it's really easy. The slight difficulty is to find someone who will record your swim while keeping your phone dry.
Also, YouTube video Stop Stop Switch was a good exercise. This is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az69Zw6UEVA
Old 07-17-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Avrind,

Video is the best tool to see what's happening in your stroke that's working well, as well as opportunities for improvement and correction. Above surface video is more than good enough to see timing and posture in breathing.

The stop, stop switch drill, aka "zipper switch drill" has been around for a long time. Even Swim Smooth has claimed it as their own drill calling it the "Popov Drill". Although its initial intentions were good, it causes far more problems than it attempts to fix with a cramped, tight recovery which triggers imbalance (body sinks) and over-rotation with the swimmer - hence you will almost always see swimmers demo this drill with fins. Using fins in the Popov drill are only for stabilizing the platform to perform this drill - quite counterproductive.

Instead, in freetyle, keep-it-simple and swing high side arm away from the body to rebalance the vessel, maintain good posture and prevent over-rotating. Avoid lifting elbow/arm above the back, cramping recovery arm, winding up (impinging) shoulder joint, breaking posture and over-rotation. Drills requiring fins should be avoided.

Stuart
Old 07-17-2017

Arvind Oak

Thanks, Coach Stuart.
That was a terrific summary.
I see your point about overdoing the rotation with too much emphasis on rolling. It did help me correct a wallowing rolling motion which was not apparent when I didn't do a full roll. Apart from that, I don't practise it as an extensive drill.
Your advice about swinging high side arm away from the body to rebalance sounds super.
Whatever you said is consistent with the TI videos and a new way of putting it does really serve to illustrate and remind.
Many thanks,
Arvind