Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2015

Rajan
Default Please Help

I would like to know does this happen to everybody at some point of time that I am experiencing for last three four days.

Until four five days back, I was satisfied with the progress of my swimming practice.

But I don't know what happened - when I went to a different pool at different location where I did not practice daily, when I started to swim there, to my surprise all the things in my swimming were dis balanced. There recovery was not good, hip drive, two beat kick etc every thing got dis-aligned. I came out out of the pool thinking that it is because of a new pool and different environment. Another day I again went to a different pool somewhere else. The same, problem exited.

Today I will go to the pool where I practice daily and will see if the same problem persist.

In the meanwhile I would like to know sometime this problem comes to everybody in life.

How is it possible that around one week back, everything was OK. But suddenly I lost my form.

Do I now need to start from the basic drill. Because it has been a more than two month I did not practice drill.

Regards

Rajan
Old 07-21-2015

tomoy

Yup, it happens. For me a lot of it has to do with the water chemistry. I might be crazy, but I think some pools are more salt-watery, and I float a little higher, and others that taste very chlorine-ie are hard for me - it seems I'm about ½" lower in the water. Ocean water is very buoyant. Freshwater lakes and reservoires make me sink more. I'll be curious to hear others' experiences too.

I try to put on my thinking cap and re-focus on certain skills to re-establish balance, head position, rotation to air. Change happens ;-)
Old 07-21-2015

daveblt

Where I swim there is an outdoor and an indoor pool . For some reason it seems as if my strokes feel just a bit smoother in the indoor pool .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 07-21-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2015
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

This is one of the reasons i love swimming. We are practicing in one of the most controlled environments in all of sports and still major changes can occur. We have the challenge of figuring them out. You are not crazy. Water feels very different at times. And it is a new skill to be able to maintain your skills in a new environment.

As with any spontaneous regression, go back as far as you need. Get control again, and move back to your current ability. You will find that your return to form is much quicker than the original time.

I am a classroom teacher and a lot of current research says that constantly changing your environment improves learning. A lot of students find that they know content in their study space but not in the hall. Swimming is the same. You may find that your definition of head position is actually based on how the bottom of the pool looks and not your sense of neck tension. Your sense of balance may be based on feeling waves instead of knowing what horizontal feels like. Changing your environment forces you to know you are correct based on your body, not the environment.
Albuquerque, NM 87111
http://www.sites.google.com/site/des...achingsystems/
Old 07-22-2015

novaswimmer

Maybe the difference is inside you. What did you have to eat/drink before going to the pool? Was it the same before each practice? Did you avoid eating a meal for a few hours before swimming?

Just an idea.
Old 07-28-2015

WFEGb

Hello Rajan,

seems not to be "One of these Days", surely everyone knows. I recognize similar effects even in the same pool when just breathing to the other side. (First lap left next right feels different to first right next left... Watching different poolsides...)

Think Eric is right. We take some landmarks from outside to assemble our strokes. Inside landmarks are the better ones...

FWIW as ever.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 07-28-2015

POK

Rajan

I am having a similar problem to you right now. I spent a week open water swimming and having returned to the pool now, I perceive my stroke to be mis-timed and generally out of sync. Frustrating, I know.

It is annoying to have to take a step back when a lot of progress has been made, for both of us it seems.
But I'd agree with Tomoy and Eric, it's an opportunity to address some specifics. Don't feel so bad, even world champions are regularly fine tuning their stroke.

Paraic