Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012

meridien96
Default new video (V17)

For those who are interested and/or those who like to comment. Latest video of myself (V17), done yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2dOa-CYzGU

IMHO looks the best for me so far:
- smooth and easy rythm
- legs less and easier, and more behind the body core (less of a scissor kick)

Thanks for any thoughts, critics and comments! :-)
Old 04-13-2012

jriley

Nice. Hips at surface, feet in the shadow, nice line and balance, good rotation, one goggle wet - even got the EVF going on. Whatever you're doing, keep on doing it. What kind of times/SC/SRs are you at? Great job.
Old 04-13-2012

meridien96

@jriley:
Thanks. On my youtube site there is the whole history of me learning from the beginning, starting with TI. I see clear improvement to V16 (which was not good I admit), and even to V15 and V14. It would be good to capture and understand the difference(s), so I never lose it/them again. My problem is, sometimes I feel improving, sometimes I feel I'm losing 'it' again...

SC = ?

Some best times/stroke rates, all on short track (25m):
3000m: 41:50 min, SR between 14 (first half) and 16 (2nd 1/2)
1000m: 13:23 min, not sure about SR, think must have been 16
6x200m with ~50sec rest: 2:34 min avg (at SR 15, 16 at the end)
8x100 with ~ 40 sec rest: 1:12.9 min avg (at SR 15 and tempo trainer frequency -> 0.98 sec)
Min strokes per 25m: 8
normally my SR is ~15, sometimes 14 in the beginning, gets 16 when it gets faster. I don't swim drills, I like intervals. I'm aware that I'm not average, but I worked very hard for that.
Old 04-13-2012

andyinnorway

watched you yesterday as I have subscribed to your channel.

I agree this is your best one, there is very little pause now in your stroke and you are carrying momentum forward all the time.

Its how I would like my stroke to look in a year or so.

keep posting the updates

Is your pool getting dirtier or your lens cap need a clean?
Old 04-13-2012

bx

Why did you lose the nice 2 beat kick? Looked good in V08...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zUCR...0&feature=plcp
Old 04-13-2012

POK
Default Re: new video (V17)

meridien96 well done, it's great to see how your stroke progressed over time piece by piece.
Can I ask, do you maintain this kick over 3000m+?
Secondly can you briefly explain to me how you now keep your hands and arms in that nice high position close to the surface....drills, or through effort and eventually fitness?
Old 04-14-2012

meridien96

@andyinnorway:
Thanks! This was actual in our city's new pool, unfortunately the light was very dim. Will look better in summer, if I meet that diver again (hopefully...). Og er du fra Trøndelag? ;)

@bx:
I agree V08 may have looked more graceful. After my progress got stuck for a for time, I tried to find ways to further improve. Starting point was a video of Grant Hackett, swimming his 1500m world record. He did the 6BK and I tried to copy from him. I do this to get more grip in the water (vs. pulling my arms through the water). I felt this is easier to archieve when I have already some propulsion from the legs. Also my arms don't get tired so fast when I use more legs. The kick in V17 may look busier than it feels for me. With V17 I'm much faster now!

@POK:
Yes, 3000m is no problem. When I swim *really* long (say > 10K), I switch to 2BK with some 4BK or 6BK from time to time (e.g. after turns). The high ellbows was (and still is) a long process. I began 18 month ago and sometimes do it better and sometimes worse. This is the first time I think it really looks how I wanted it. No drills, but I do from time to time some gymnastics, e.g. when I walk around in my appartment. Stretching out to the ceiling, and trying to grab that water with EVF. I must admit I do this frequently.

Btw, does anybody know this gizmo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEZ6-OkeFQ
Have it since 2 weeks, I think it's a great tool!
Old 04-14-2012

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Why does your kick go out of sink with your spearing arm sometimes? In the Hackett and Yang videos I ALWAYS see their opposite foot driving the opposite spearing arm at the exact same moment, incredibly synced. It's what gives them that "gliding" look as they outstretch their spearing arm, whether it is a 4 bt or 6 bt kick. As a matter of fact if you look closely to a swimmer behind Sun Yang you can see his kick NOT syncing with the opposite spearing arm, that's never the case with Hackett or Yang. I too have been experimenting with a 6 & 4 beat kick for precisely the same reason, to take the weight off of my catch and my sore shoulders and wait patiently for the "push" while keeping the hips high. The recent post by Ladyfish explaining Shinji's snap of the opposite elbow and opposite knee at the exact same time is very close to what I see Hackett and Yang doing. I'm not even close to the level of swimming your at, but I'm sure there is some more speed for you to eke out with timing and hip drive. It's obvious that you are into your swimming, excellent work! Keep us posted.
Old 04-15-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridien96 View Post
@andyinnorway:
Thanks! This was actual in our city's new pool, unfortunately the light was very dim. Will look better in summer, if I meet that diver again (hopefully...). Og er du fra Trøndelag? ;)

@bx:
I agree V08 may have looked more graceful. After my progress got stuck for a for time, I tried to find ways to further improve. Starting point was a video of Grant Hackett, swimming his 1500m world record. He did the 6BK and I tried to copy from him. I do this to get more grip in the water (vs. pulling my arms through the water). I felt this is easier to archieve when I have already some propulsion from the legs. Also my arms don't get tired so fast when I use more legs. The kick in V17 may look busier than it feels for me. With V17 I'm much faster now!

@POK:
Yes, 3000m is no problem. When I swim *really* long (say > 10K), I switch to 2BK with some 4BK or 6BK from time to time (e.g. after turns). The high ellbows was (and still is) a long process. I began 18 month ago and sometimes do it better and sometimes worse. This is the first time I think it really looks how I wanted it. No drills, but I do from time to time some gymnastics, e.g. when I walk around in my appartment. Stretching out to the ceiling, and trying to grab that water with EVF. I must admit I do this frequently.

Btw, does anybody know this gizmo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEZ6-OkeFQ
Have it since 2 weeks, I think it's a great tool!
Thats amazing that someone your level can recommend that, I thought it was one of the funnier ones made by finis but had considered it as my offside rotation is suboptimal. I might get one now you say its good.

Jeg er ikke norsk, bare på en lang besøk.
Old 04-16-2012

meridien96

@rcrawford2@verizon.net
Thanks, I agress there should be more potential. I don't see what you are saying yet, I will have to ask my wife to explain/show me. Normally it takes some days/weeks to realize. Was the same with the scissor kick from V16. At some day I got it. Unfortunately my swimming abilities are better than my stroke trainer abilities. But that's why I need you guys here :-)

@andyinnorway
The Tech Toc showed me in 2 minutes, what I didn't see in 20+ videos in over > 3 years. My rotation to the left is fast and far, to the right it's slow and late. Don't know what's better though. This is independent of to where I breath. Maybe someone told be, but it's different when you feel the TOCC!, Tooooc, TOCC!, Tooooc...