Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013

KarenE
Default Self coaching 10 lesson thread(s)?

I'm working my way through the self coaching 10 lesson video. Is there already or has there been talk of having a thread focused on each lesson?

Regardless, i am have a specific difficulty in Lesson 3 - but i could put it in the breathing thread if that would be better:

I can do the drills in lesson 3 fairly comfortably on my right side and they seemed pretty straightforward to master, but it is much harder on the left. I found today if i did them very slowly to the left i could also do them but it takes much more concentration and i can only do them very slowly. It seems for instance once in skate position when i'm doing 'streamline rotation to air' (and all of the ones after that) i have to kind of wait for my body to come around and get balanced enough for my head to what feels like 'emerge' to near the surface and then i can easily rotate to breath. Is it possible to tell from that description what might be taking my head so long - could it be that i'm just not rotating whole body enough? I can't figure out why my head isn't all nice and ready as it is to the right. Or after more practice slowly could it just happen more and more automatically?
Old 06-10-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Karen, I think this is a great idea, I'll make a case for it!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-10-2013

helixfairweather

I would really really really love this!! I hope you can make it a reality!

Helix Fairweather
Old 06-10-2013

KarenE

Great thanks for considering this! I would find it so helpful and then over time it could be useful for people whenever they start - a Perpetual self coaching forum -
Old 06-24-2013

jackfrost

A thread will be very useful for those of use who are struggling to get through chapter 3 :) . I've probably spent more than 5 months on this single chapter :)
Old 06-26-2013

ananthaditya

Since the title is self-coaching thread, I'll just ignore the little question mark next to it that seems to suggest at nebulousness, and post my question here. It's a simple question: How much of SG'ing around the pool is enough? How much SG'ing before you've 'imprinted' all there is to imprint from the position?
Old 06-26-2013

Richardsk

Hi ananthaditya

I suspect that your question is a bit like asking a professional musician when he or she can stop practising scales and arpeggios. The answer is almost certainly never. I remember reading that Pablo Casals used to get up early and play very slow scales for an hour or more every morning.

I think the more you do these simple exercises the more depth you find in them but of course one must also press on to more advanced things as well. It's a circular process.
Old 06-26-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthaditya View Post
Since the title is self-coaching thread, I'll just ignore the little question mark next to it that seems to suggest at nebulousness, and post my question here. It's a simple question: How much of SG'ing around the pool is enough? How much SG'ing before you've 'imprinted' all there is to imprint from the position?
Although I have only been doing the TI exercises for a few weeks, I don't foresee ever NOT doing SG. Right now, I always do 2X 25m of SG at the start of my workout and again in the middle when I need a "resting" exercise.

SG at the start of the workout relaxes me. It sets the stage for what I will work on by allowing me to revisit a weightless head, relaxed hands on wide tracks, trickle breathing.

I like Richardsk's analogy to a musician warming up with the bedrock foundation skills of his craft. That's what Superman Glide is for me too.

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR