Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010

naj
Default Pool Mate

Has anyone tried The Pool Mate? I'm interested in how this thing would do in open water. It seems geared towards the pool for most of the info but can it also give some of the details for open water as it does the pool?

Anyone very tried it out? I'd be grateful for any information. Thanks in advance!

Naji
Old 11-04-2010

westyswoods

Naj,

I have one and find it useful in the pool, although for me there has been a techie learning curve as with all of this new stuff. Open water is a different story, they even tell you it is not for OW as the strokes are counted on a per lap basis at 25 or 50. The pause at the wallis the marker. I have tried it in the OW while counting strokes pausing every 20th figuring it may work, with no success. This is just me though, there may be a way, I do believe they are working towards an OW version. My experience say no to open water use, a good watch will do just as good.

What about them Giants? Amazing after 54 years, Mays, McCovey..... my childhood heroes they finally get a WS.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 11-04-2010

naj
Default To Good to Be True

Thanks Westy, I would love to have something like this for open water but if its not there yet then using soley for the pool is not a good investment for me and my limited income. Yeah what a great year my boys in Orange and black had. That'll teach Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Texas to overlook us next time!

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 11-04-2010

Grant

Yeah what a great year my boys in Orange and black had. That'll teach Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Texas to overlook us next time!

Keep Swimming!
Naji[/quote]

As a Braves fan since 1946 I was not pleased that your Giants were so rude to us. However was very pleased that they did so well in the WS.
Next year time. :o)
Old 11-04-2010

sasquatch
Default Garmin Forerunner

I've never used this, but my friend Josh likes to pay more attention to distance during his OW swims.

http://www.utahopenwater.com/search/...rerunner%20305
Old 11-05-2010

dshen

I have a Swimovate and think it's mostly good. However, what bugs me most about it is:

1. it sometimes loses a lap. I swim 25y lengths and go up and back and realize it only counted 1 lap and not 2.

2. Its lower bound in stroke count is 6 (counting one arm strokes). It's not good for <12 strokes DPS training.

3. the UI is really tough to use. I constantly get to wrong places of the menu.

4. I have not found their computed lap time to be accurate at all.

Mostly I use it for just counting laps which can be tough when you're doing so many in a 25y pool. It helps me remember how many total yards I swim in a workout.

To all this, I have emailed them and they have not provided me with the best of answers although to their credit they did answer.

There is a newer model out that allows download to a PC (but not a Mac! GRRRR - coming later). I am considering buying one but don't like the missing Mac download.

Finis is coming out with their Swimsense this holiday season which can download to PCs and Macs. I think I'll have to try this one out.
Old 01-05-2011

glendominius
Default Pool mate

Hi All,

Was about to post a similar question to Naji as I am looking at getting one of these. I am a techie so would have to go for the pro version allowing sync to PC.

My main concern is the lap count as I have my stroke count to around 11-15 depending on speed which is already at the cusp of what the watch supports - @dshen - how 'bad' is it when you are swimming these below '6' stroke lengths?

@Westy - in open water did the stroke count just keep going up (ie one length) or was it just inaccurate?
Considering its too cold in the UK to go near open water this is not too much of a problem ha!

Glendo
Old 01-06-2011

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendominius View Post
Hi All,

My main concern is the lap count as I have my stroke count to around 11-15 depending on speed which is already at the cusp of what the watch supports - @dshen - how 'bad' is it when you are swimming these below '6' stroke lengths?
it is unfortunately pretty bad to the point of not recognizing a lap has been swum. so it will lose critical swim information.

i got a swimsense a few weeks ago and it is MUCH better, plus with syncing via mac to their website. really great data display too.

it will record lower stroke counts per length, although it sometimes mistakenly recognizes those lengths as breaststroke. i emailed them about it and they are looking into this.

i wrote a review on it on my training blog:

FINIS Swimsense Review (and Comparison with the Swimovate) [UPDATED]