Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008

robv
Default over the barrel frontal footage?

Hello,
now that I got the 'core rotation 2bk thing' somewhat under control, my next focus point will be my grip on the water. I tried reaching over the barrel in order to engage my forearm in the pulling, but to do that my elbow has to swing out to the side, is that the correct way?
Is there any frontal footage from this so that I can see what it should look like?

thanx again!
Old 12-04-2008

Rhoda

I'm inclined to think your elbow would have to swing out a bit, unless you have an unusual degree of shoulder flexibility.
Old 12-04-2008

dwdvagamundo
Default Right!

Your elbow should turn outward (toward the surface of the water). BTW it helps to do this if you make the hand entry wide to begin with.
Old 12-04-2008

robv

allright thanks, heading for the pool now let's see if i can get that elbow up.
Old 12-05-2008

robv

Went to the pool yesterday and learnt a lot.

1. In order to get my elbows up I made my entry a little wider as mentioned by dwdvagamundo. This not only made it easier to raise my elbow but I also found out that I didn't enter in front of my shoulder but al little in front of my head. By fixing this I now see why rolling far enough was difficult for my because with my extended arm a bit more to the center I sort of tipped over that arm If rolled to much. With the wider entry en extended arm I am much more stable. So that was a welcome extra catch.

2. The main problem with the right pull is muscles. Cause what I used to do (unconciously) was pulling my hand in the way that gives the least resistance. And now that I focus on pulling a straight line with a raised elbow I feel that I have much more grip on the water and excellerate much more. It's just that my muscles are not up to this much resistance yet for more than 2 laps (i'm not one of those big shoulder guys) . But that's good at least I something new to put some energy in.

I'll have to get myself on film cause the way I think I swim is probably not what it looks like from the deck.....
Old 01-11-2009

don h
Default wide and high elbow during pull

there is a very good discussion of this by terry in post#7 to "fistgloves" by naj.
Old 01-11-2009

Folala

Hello,
You may want to view this Early Vertical Forearm clip from the Israel TI team, I've found it useful.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsE7apdQMs

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2009

don h
Default nice movie , folala

nice movie, folala. can you explain for me what they mean by rotating the humerous (sic) bone?

don h
Old 01-12-2009

Folala

Hello don h,

I believe they mean: As we move our elbow sideway and keep it high, then the upper arm bone will have to rotate more in the shoulder socket (certainly more than if we do a straight pull). You may want to pose the question directly to the Israel team on youtube.

I am new to Early Vertical Forearm, at this time I've found focusing on keeping the elbow wide of the body helped me the most. It's a new sensation but when I get it right I feel that I don't have to work as hard as my previous straight arm catch.

Regards
Old 01-12-2009

daren

In case this helps you. What I try to do is when I'm "pulling" the water, I focus on pressing the inside(the part pressed against the body if arms are freely hanging while person is standing) of my elbow against the water. Or pretend that your elbow is the paddle instead of your hand and you're trying to paddle water with it. If you're doing it like I am you will feel the pressure of your elbow against the water as your arm moves through the water.