Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012

kalinma
Default Asymmetry

I have what seems to be a great deal of right-left asymmetry in my stroke. My left hand and arm just don't seem to be coordinated enough to duplicate what my right hand and arm do in the spear-pull-recovery. I'm guessing this is quite common as very few people are truly ambidextrous. Anyone have some tips that have helped achieve a good right-left symmetry?
Old 07-26-2012

daveblt

Without a video it's hard to say but it could be your balance which could have a lot to do with it or maybe you are over rolling to much to one side .

Dave
Old 07-26-2012

kalinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Without a video it's hard to say but it could be your balance which could have a lot to do with it or maybe you are over rolling to much to one side .

Dave
Possibly, but what I'm really feeling, and it is very pronounced, is that my left arm just cannot coordinate the movements. In fact, when I was first learning how to swim about 4-5 months ago, I realized that my left arm wasn't doing a stroke at all. It has improved through simple awareness, but is still a problem for me.

Last edited by kalinma : 07-26-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-28-2012

kalinma
Default found my asymmetry problem

AHA! I now believe it is a balance issue, but not rolling too much. I watched this video last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rddHP...feature=relmfu
and tried this morning to pay attention to my lead hand, patient catch. My right arm stays extended as my left arm recovers. However, when I spear with the left arm and rotate to breathe (I breathe right side exclusively for the time being), my left arm sinks and begins the pull a bit too early. So I guess I need to do a lot of skating drills with rotating to air--which I have found quite difficult. Need patience with myself in addition to the patient lead hand!
Old 07-28-2012

andyinnorway

What you are experiencing is almost universal for developing swimmers when going to breath. Now that you are aware of it, you can probably rectify it quickly. Just focus on stretching that arm out as you roll to breath, your symmetry issues will improve, your stroke length will improve and you will get a better catch on that side.

Its a really good thing to get the hang of to move your swimming forward.
Old 07-28-2012

kalinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
What you are experiencing is almost universal for developing swimmers when going to breath. Now that you are aware of it, you can probably rectify it quickly. Just focus on stretching that arm out as you roll to breath, your symmetry issues will improve, your stroke length will improve and you will get a better catch on that side.

Its a really good thing to get the hang of to move your swimming forward.
Thank you, andyinnorway. Discovery is a wonderful thing to experience. Correcting the problem requires diligence and patience. Here's to kaizen and moving forward!