Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012

Danny
Default need SPL conversion table

Normally I swim in a 25 yd pool. I am about 5'11'' and I swim at a comfortable pace with about 15-16 SPL. Now I'm on vacation and swimming in a 50m pool. Here is a table of target SPL for a 25 yd pool from CoachDavidShen:
5’0” to 5’ 2” 18 to 21 SPL
5’3” to 5’5” 17 to 20 SPL
5’6” to 5’ 8” 16 to 19 SPL
5’9” to 5’ 11” 15 to 18 SPL
6’0” to 6’2” 14 to 17 SPL
6’3” or taller 13 to 16 SPL
It is tempting to construct a conversion table simply by using the ratio of 50m to 25 yd, but my experience tells me that doesn't work. For example, using that kind of calculation, my SPL for 50 m, converted from 15 SPL for 25yd, should be about 32. Instead, I seem to be up about 39 or 40, or even larger as I swim more. There are probably multiple reasons for this: less turning and pushing off the wall is perhaps the biggest factor. Has anyone made up a table like the above for 50m pools?

The other thing I'm noticing is that I have trouble counting strokes for this longer length. This is probably just a matter of getting used to it, but my mind wanders and I lose count. I also have the feeling that my SPL deteriorates faster as my workout progresses in the 50 m pool. This might be because the pool is colder (it's outside and heated, I think, to about 24 C, but I notice when I get out at the end that I'm shivering). Who has experience with such comparisons and can help me set some benchmarks for myself?

The 50 m pool is much nicer than 25 yd, because you have more of a chance to get in a rhythm, but I'm also finding a down side. With 25 yd, if I'm trying to hold an SPL, I get more feedback because I get more data on SPL and have more chances to institute corrections. With 50 m, the data comes only half as often and a lot of times my mind wandered and I lost count.
Old 05-26-2012

janedoemuc
Default Re: need SPL conversion table

You can IMO calculate the distance per stroke of the 25 yard list. Calculate the distance per stroke you actually take on your 50m and compare. Then you know where you stand. Consider always an approx. 2-5m push-off in any calculation (depending on how far you actually push-off).

Example:
1 yard = 91,44 cm
15 strokes on 25 yards is 25 yards : 15 strokes = 1,66 yards per stroke = 1,52m per stroke
39 strokes on 50m is 50m : 30 strokes = 1,28m per stroke
w/o push off approximated with 2,5m = 2,73 yards
15 stroke on 22,27 yards is 22,27 yards : 15 strokes = 1,48 yards per stroke = 1,36m per stroke
39 strokes on 47,5m is 47,5m : 39 strokes = 1,22 m per stroke
If your push-off is longer you need to subtract more if shorter then less.
Feel free to do your own calculations.

In that way you can compare your DPS instead of SPL. Just another way to look at it.

If your mind wanders, then you simply need to concentrate on what you do. There is IMO no way around it. How do you want to improve if you are not present in the moment your are practising?

If you are used to a 25yard-pool then your mind and body are programmed for a 25yard-pool. It needs some time to get used to 50m - for the mind and the body. Your body and your mind expects a wall after 25 yards for turn or for rest. Your form gets worse therefore. It is IMO mainly a matter of getting used to the distance. I think it helps to stay relaxed and concentrated on every single stroke. Then you will touch the wall earlier "than you think" even if it takes you the same time. It is IMO a matter of perception and focus. Shift your focus and perception from "getting there" to "being in the moment" and the 50m will "feel" the same like 25yards. It might increase your attention on what you do, too so you will be able to hold it to the wall. Good luck.

Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc

Last edited by janedoemuc : 05-26-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling corrected
Old 05-26-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

make it even easier.

take your typical Spl for 25yd, add 3 to account for one pushoff, double it and add 10%

For me, a typical SPL is warmup 14-15. Add 3 = 17-18. Double it = 34-36, add 10% 38-40. That fits me just right.

it seems like you "should " be able to subtract 3 from the resulting number since you still do a single pushoff but those calcs work for me.

Sprinting: 19SPL in 25 SCY add 3 = 22. double it 44 at 10% 48-50. Still works pretty well.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-26-2012

Danny

Two different ways to do the conversions, resulting in two somewhat different answers, but both are interesting and useful. Thanks. Just one thing: What does IMO stand for?
Old 05-26-2012

Danny
Default by the way...

Janedoemuc, I just checked your website and found you're located in Munich. As fate would have it, the 50m pool I'm swimming in is in Unterhaching. The 25 yd pool I swim in is in Michigan. Nochmals vielen Dank fuer den Rat!
Old 05-26-2012

Donal F

IMO = in my opinion
Old 05-27-2012

aquarius

When does one start counting the strokes? In other words, does the first "half-stroke", when one of the two hands moves back after the push-off, count, or not?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
When does one start counting the strokes? In other words, does the first "half-stroke", when one of the two hands moves back after the push-off, count, or not?

Thanks.
in TI, we like to count "spear forwards". So in that case, the first stroke back after push-off isn't counted.
Old 05-27-2012

westyswoods

Just became more efficient by one stroke. I always counted the set up stroke as I call it. Not that it makes a hugh difference to me, as it is all about improving so long as the same metrics are used.

Be about another three weeks before I am allowed back in water. I might have to push it up a wee bit, you know how cautious Drs. can be. Just for you Coach Suz. Sure do miss it.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 05-27-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

In reality, I have to separate sets of metrics for SCY and LCM. I don't worry about converting them.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle