Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012

collinsdc
Default Tempo Trainer teething troubles..

Hi everyone. I have just picked up a new Finis Tempo Trainer Pro in an effort to try and develop some consistency in my stroke rate.

I feel that I may be alone in this ( just my bad luck ) but I am having issues in actually hearing the beep it emits. Standing at the pool wall with the tempo set & the actual unit against my outer ear under a silicone swim cap I can hear the beep just fine but as soon as I begin to swim I can no longer hear the beep. I have tried adjusting its position, using it on the opposite ear, even fitted a new battery but all to no avail, as soon as I am horizontal in the water & stroking I cannot hear it. Like any other pool my own local pool gets busy & so therefore noisy but I can still hear the unit beeping when standing, it is when I swim the problem exists.

I have good hearing in general & was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions that may help. After all the good reviews & posts I have read on the benefits of tempo trainers I will be very disappointed if I am unable to make use of it. Help....please....
Old 05-14-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Just curious how old you are? I've had several swimmers who are 60+ that have the same issue.

It seems loudest when the digits are facing towards your ear. have you tried that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsdc View Post
Hi everyone. I have just picked up a new Finis Tempo Trainer Pro in an effort to try and develop some consistency in my stroke rate.

I feel that I may be alone in this ( just my bad luck ) but I am having issues in actually hearing the beep it emits. Standing at the pool wall with the tempo set & the actual unit against my outer ear under a silicone swim cap I can hear the beep just fine but as soon as I begin to swim I can no longer hear the beep. I have tried adjusting its position, using it on the opposite ear, even fitted a new battery but all to no avail, as soon as I am horizontal in the water & stroking I cannot hear it. Like any other pool my own local pool gets busy & so therefore noisy but I can still hear the unit beeping when standing, it is when I swim the problem exists.

I have good hearing in general & was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions that may help. After all the good reviews & posts I have read on the benefits of tempo trainers I will be very disappointed if I am unable to make use of it. Help....please....
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-14-2012

collinsdc

Hi Suzanne, I am 38, I don't think I suffer from any hearing impairments (that I am aware of anyway) as I had a medical recently for my drivers licence and all was fine.

I have tried facing the unit both ways and as mentioned, I can hear the audible beep perfectly when standing at the pool wall, it is when I swim that I then lose it. Perhaps I am getting water in my ears as I swim? Maybe completely sealing the cap over my ear would help?

Tonight was my first try with the tempo trainer so maybe I need to give it time/ pick a quieter corner of the pool etc, failing that get a hearing test done again?

It seems that anyone who has used a tempo trainer has high praise for them & the advantages are many.
I guess I will will just have to experiment.

Thanks for your reply.

Denis
Old 05-15-2012

Richardsk

Hi Denis

My impression is that the TT should be placed against the skull and not the ear and you hear it through the bones. It worked for me until my TT was left switched on by mistake and the battery died. I suppose I should buy one of the new ones with replaceable battery, but I don't like wearing a cap so am a bit reluctant. I find mentally singing songs in 6/8 time and adjusting the tempo quite effective. Some are better than others at keeping strict tempo but as an amateur jazz bassist I have some leanings in that direction. Not sure I can distinguish between 1.02 and 1.01, though ;-).
Old 05-15-2012

tomoy

Do you use ear plugs? I do, and they take the noise of movement and exhaling underwater down a lot - in addition to keeping out the water. I find the beep pretty audible and wonder if other swimmers can hear it underwater.
Old 05-15-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi Denis

My impression is that the TT should be placed against the skull and not the ear and you hear it through the bones. It worked for me until my TT was left switched on by mistake and the battery died. I suppose I should buy one of the new ones with replaceable battery, but I don't like wearing a cap so am a bit reluctant. I find mentally singing songs in 6/8 time and adjusting the tempo quite effective. Some are better than others at keeping strict tempo but as an amateur jazz bassist I have some leanings in that direction. Not sure I can distinguish between 1.02 and 1.01, though ;-).
Yes, I put mine on the bone behind the ear and its very loud in the water.
Old 05-15-2012

collinsdc

Thanks Richardsk & Andy for your input, I will give that position a go when I swim later tonight..
Old 05-15-2012

nicka

I also worry if other swimmers hear it as it seem loud even when under water swimming in a busy pool so maybe it is faulty and hearable when not swimming but not actually loud enough or the wrong frequency to be able to hear it when submersed or with a bit of noise underwater.
I also place mine just behind my ear and without a swim cap on.
Hope that helps
Nick
Old 05-15-2012

jenson1a

I have the same problem also and what I have found that works for me is to put the TT behind the ear lobe (towards bottom of ear lobe) and also wear an ear lplug to keep the water out.

I think there was a previous thread called TT for a Deaf and there were several suggestions offered on that thread.

Good luck

Sherry

p.s. I am way over 60 and I can't even hear the TT out of water unless it is right up against my ear.
Old 05-15-2012

WFEGb

Hallo,

before using an iPod with H2O-Audio I had always the same problems.

Maybe you should have a look at my old thread "TT for a deaf?"

Like Westy told: "It seems all very familiar.."

Best regards,
Werner