Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012
Coach

CoachBrian
Default Six Week Intermediate Freestyle Efficiency Program

8 weeks ago, my Master's Practice group started the Six Week Intermediate Freestyle Efficiency Program. It took eight weeks to do the program. We only practice once per week. The swimmers (mostly triathletes) practice with me only once a week and were encouraged to buy the plan and do the other practices during the week. Most did.

The first practice in the program includes a 300 yard/meter time trial, to set a benchmark. I remember that night well. People were wasted by the effort, and nobody was very enthusiastic about doing much else after the time trial.

Tonight, eight weeks later, they swam the same time trial and finished with big smiles. Most of them took 30 seconds to a minute off their times. Even the fastest swimmer took 13 seconds off his time. Their strokes looked much better - smoother, balanced, streamlined, connected. It made me and them very happy!

Next week we start the Olympic and Long Course Triathlon Swim Training Plan. I think these athletes will be well prepared for triathlon season.
Old 04-03-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBrian View Post
8 weeks ago, my Master's Practice group started the Six Week Intermediate Freestyle Efficiency Program. It took eight weeks to do the program. We only practice once per week. The swimmers (mostly triathletes) practice with me only once a week and were encouraged to buy the plan and do the other practices during the week. Most did.

The first practice in the program includes a 300 yard/meter time trial, to set a benchmark. I remember that night well. People were wasted by the effort, and nobody was very enthusiastic about doing much else after the time trial.

Tonight, eight weeks later, they swam the same time trial and finished with big smiles. Most of them took 30 seconds to a minute off their times. Even the fastest swimmer took 13 seconds off his time. Their strokes looked much better - smoother, balanced, streamlined, connected. It made me and them very happy!

Next week we start the Olympic and Long Course Triathlon Swim Training Plan. I think these athletes will be well prepared for triathlon season.
This is awesome. Reinforcement of concepts and technique over time is important and often missing from workshops afterwards since they only last 1 or 2 days and then we never or rarely see the swimmers again. I love seeing more swim teaching programs that involve being with swimmers for longer periods of times.