Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011

manishcom
Default Just started drill 1 but don't seem to move any distance

Hi

I have started the drill one. I am able to float on my back and flutter my legs but I seem to remain at the same place. There is no movement forward. What should I do?
Old 03-11-2011

collinsdc
Default Everyone struggles at the beginning...

Hi there & welcome to the wonderful world of TI.

I had exactly the same problem when I began TI so you are not alone. I found my kick was ineffective because of my unflexible ankles.
Determined not to be beaten I practiced this drill over & over & by becoming more rexaled in the water & experimenting with my kick I finally got moving. Patience & persistence will bring results.

I stand to be corrected on this but I believe that this drill may now be obselete due to the difficulties & frustration encountered by beginners at the first hurdle. Perhaps others in the know may be able to advise on this.

When I began I was using the book & Freestyle Made Easy DVD.
It would certainly be beneficial to you to acquire the latest DVD available, this will give you a visual guide to all the drills & up to date techniques.
Good luck on your journey, who knows, you may even become addicted like the rest of us.

Denis
Old 03-11-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Manish
Welcome to TI. You seem to be following an older version of our learning progression, one which we modified and updated for precisely the cause you are experiencing. It sounds as if you are learning with guidance from the original (blue and yellow) TI book.
In that book Drill One is Basic Balance on your Back. We've not taught that in 10 years because (1) so many students were limited by poor kicking, and (2) the Back Balance position is critical only to Sweet Spot breathing, not to freestyle as most people swim it.

Our current progression starts with Superman Glide, is not dependent on kicking ability -- in fact it explicitly de-emphasizes kicking in favor of weightlessness and low resistance, which are essential to successful freestyle swimming.

You can find an updated guide to learning in our Easy Freestyle DVD or our 10-Lesson Self-Coached Workshop DVD. The latter shows the skills and mini-skills. The latter also includes many tips on how to learn and how to bypass the most common difficulties encountered by those who coach themselves.

In addition, visual guides are far more effective than text and line drawings. The greatest use of the TI book is to understand the concepts and principles.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-14-2011

juliusi
Send a message via Skype™ to juliusi
Default Can I still use the yellow and blue book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Manish
Welcome to TI. You seem to be following an older version of our learning progression, one which we modified and updated for precisely the cause you are experiencing. It sounds as if you are learning with guidance from the original (blue and yellow) TI book.
In that book Drill One is Basic Balance on your Back. We've not taught that in 10 years because (1) so many students were limited by poor kicking, and (2) the Back Balance position is critical only to Sweet Spot breathing, not to freestyle as most people swim it.

Our current progression starts with Superman Glide, is not dependent on kicking ability -- in fact it explicitly de-emphasizes kicking in favor of weightlessness and low resistance, which are essential to successful freestyle swimming.

You can find an updated guide to learning in our Easy Freestyle DVD or our 10-Lesson Self-Coached Workshop DVD. The latter shows the skills and mini-skills. The latter also includes many tips on how to learn and how to bypass the most common difficulties encountered by those who coach themselves.

In addition, visual guides are far more effective than text and line drawings. The greatest use of the TI book is to understand the concepts and principles.
Dear Mr. Terry,
I have bought the blue and yellow book few years back, but I never used it (shame on me!), but still did enter the world of triathlon competing even in an Ironman where my swim leg time was 1.27. Very very slow. Now I took the book off the shelf and decided that I really wanted to read it through and learn a better technique. I went to the pool and started to do some drills and joined a swim group so to have some feedback from an instructor, who immediately pointed out some major mistakes, but overall said that I am very fluid (I hope I give you the idea) in the water, but this doesn't prevent me of swimming very very slowly. Now I ended up in your forum and I read that the book is old. Can I still follow the guideline and do the drills? I suppose so, but Iwould like to have your input as well keeping in mind that I do mostly freestyle. Do I need something else?
I hope the place I posted this message is ok.
Thank you very much,
J
Old 03-14-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

J
If you feel you are swimming too slowly first remember this:

To move forward in the water, the propulsive force you generate must exceed the resistive force (drag) of the water. To swim faster you must increase the difference between them. Reducing drag takes no energy. Increasing propulsive force takes energy. So it's better to reduce drag.

Our DVDs Easy Freestyle and Self-Coached Workshop both start with lessons that improve balance and streamlining. Your potential for speed will immediately improve when those skills do.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-14-2011

juliusi
Send a message via Skype™ to juliusi
Default thank you

Thank you Terry for the reply.
Reading your book I understood this idea and I tried for an hour this morning your first drill excercise (Pressing your buoy). I know it will improve my swimming if done properly and with patience, what I was wondering is if I can follow the old book with the sequence of drills given there or do you think it is too much out of date?
Again thank you for your answers.
J
Old 03-21-2011

SuperX78

I wish that I knew that the book and DVD that I spent $40 on was outdated before I purchased it.

Joe
Old 03-24-2011

swimpaired

Thanks for the video link on the kick. It's annoying when you kick but don't move :) Do you recommend using some of the small fins rather than working on kicking for skating position drills early on? Does this give easier to recognize feedback regarding body streamlining corrections given the higher speed and resultant increased water resistance with fins? (At least for those of us without the proper kick.)
Old 03-25-2011

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimpaired View Post
Do you recommend using some of the small fins rather than working on kicking for skating position drills early on?
I used fins extensively and productively during my first 2 years of TI training. Skating was exhausting without fins. With them, I made progress.

Once I figured out "hip-driven" technique, I reduced my fin use to nearly zero.

At present, I only use fins 200 - 300 yards at about 1/2 my practices. My goal is to gradually improve foot flexibility by kicking with fins.

RadSwim
Old 05-13-2011

stalefish168
Default Outdated Drills

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Manish

Terry,

I am a beginner swimmer and am eagerly attempting to apply the TI methodologies. Like many beginners, I too currently struggle from a poor kick and unsuprisingly with the Drill #1 "Balance on Your Back".

I have purchased your "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" book (in 2010) as well as the "Freestyle: Made Easy" DVD (in 2011). Both of these materials list the "Balance on Your Back" drill as the place to get started, so I was suprised to hear you say that this drill has not been taught in over 10 years.

My book cover appears to be identical to the one on the TI website. Can you please clarify for us if the "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" represents the current set of drills?

Thank you for all your help.