Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default What Is Total Immersion

I've drafted three documents to flesh out and update the About section of the TI web site. These are intended to give someone who knows little or nothing about TI a good initial idea what we're about.
Please let me know how this compares with whatever was your first encounter with TI. More useful? Too wordy? Is there something you think is important I've left out? Thanks for your input.

What Is Total Immersion?

Total Immersion is the world’s most efficient, satisfying, and easiest-to-learn swimming technique. Total Immersion is also a method for continuous lifetime improvement in swimming.

With Total Immersion, you don’t need youth, athleticism, special talents, or endless laps to become the swimmer you always wished you could be. Since 1989, thousands and thousands of TI students around the world—most of them self-coached--have learned to swim better than they ever imagined possible.

Set—and achieve--any meaningful goal.
You probably found your way to our web site, because you aspire to do one or more of the following:
• Improve your technique and/or fitness.
• Swim farther. To complete your first lap . . . or your first mile.
• Swim faster. Not just to race (though we don’t rule it out) but to feel you’re making measurable progress.
• Swim for well-being and relaxation.
• Swim in a triathlon.
• And most of all to enjoy swimming!

You’ve come to the right place. We guarantee that Total Immersion will help you achieve any goal that brought you here--likely with an ease and enjoyment that will surprise you.

A critical distinction between Total Immersion and other programs is that we also help you:
• Use your body intelligently and healthfully . . . to swim for life.
• Acquire skills that can help you learn and improve anything.
• Discover and develop new capacities . . . at any age.

Our Mission
We believe swimming is both an essential life skill and unparalleled as a way to enjoy peak physical and mental health throughout life. Our mission is to help people of all ages and abilities achieve meaningful goals through smart, effective, satisfying practice.

Our Promise
Our first promise is that you will achieve the goals that brought you here. We also promise that, along the way, you’ll also experience the following:

Feel better physically.
 Feel you’re working with the water.
 Finish each swim feeling refreshed and energized.
 Over the long term, feel fit, strong, and supple--and avoid injury.

Feel better about yourself.
 Have a stroke you’re proud of, and which others compliment.
 Set any reasonable goal, and feel confident of reaching it.
 Swim better every year . . . for life!
 Make swimming the best part of any day.

Thousands of TI swimmers have discovered these qualitative goals are not only realistic, but—when adopted as touchstones—improve your chances of realizing any speed, distance, or technique goal.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-25-2014

WFEGb

Hello Terry,

think this is really, really great!!! This in a good design with a link to some put together demostrokes will be overwhelming.

Might be a special German property: Somone new and untouched by TI might think: Just an advertising of the company. For such a surfer or searcher it might be helpful to add a paragraph, give us a proof...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 04-25-2014
Head Coach

Thanks for your comments, Werner. You're right. It will be most effective if we include images and/or video to illustrate some of what we say.

The most effective of all will be testimonials from people such as yourself. We will invite submission of those from people with a good TI story to share.

My TI Story
Old 04-25-2014

Jellybean

Terry

I think those descriptions would help greatly.

It's hard to see with the eyes of a newcomer when you're into it already, but I think what would be really powerful would be to see some 'before', 'during' and 'after' video clips to show real people's progress.

Personally, I don't find testimonials convinicing - every web site selling things can produce pages of them.

Cheers
Tony
Old 04-27-2014
Head Coach

I agree that before and after video will be far more convincing than any # of words. Our coaches have many examples. I'll ask them to 'lend' us some.

My TI Story
Old 05-12-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

Two comments:

1) When some people read a statement like "Total Immersion is the world’s most efficient, satisfying, and easiest-to-learn swimming technique," they will react by thinking "How can they make a statement like that? Have they actually compared it to every other swimming technique in the world?"

If the statement were amended to say, e.g., "Total Immersion students have described it as the most efficient, satisfying, and easiest-to-learn swimming technique they've ever used," it would be much harder for anyone to object.

2) "Swim faster. Not just to race (though we don’t rule it out) but to feel you’re making measurable progress."

There is also another reason why people may want to improve their speed:

When I first began swimming for fitness, I didn't pay any attention to speed because I thought I was too old to consider racing. (I believed, mistakenly, that swimmers probably reach their peak in their late teens or early 20s, which would mean that I was already over the hill.) So my goal was simply to gradually increase the distance I could swim without stopping. I swam for a half hour 3 times per week, and I'd hop in the pool and keep swimming whatever distance I could do without stopping (initially 25s, then 50s, then 75s, and so on), doing it over and over until the half hour was up. But when the distance I could do non-stop started to get close to a mile, my swim times started taking more than a half hour because it was taking me more than 30 minutes to swim that distance. So I decided to start trying to improve my speed so that I could swim longer distances without my swim times taking too long.

But once I began working on improving my speed, it became addictive, and soon I was starting to dream about the possibility of actually racing.

Bob
Old 05-14-2014

CharlesCouturier

I see what you mean Bob, and whilst I am generally forgiving when comes to marketing unverifiable claims, it's true that I more easily fall for companies who try to are more conservative, and do promote what they deliver.

Anyway, my perception of total immersion is a bit different than what's outlined in this description.

As a swim coach, for me TI rimes with a complete system that addresses the 4 strokes. There are not that many when you think about it. Respect for that. Of course, Free sells much much more than breast and back. But the material was done, and is available. So please. Do not abandon the 3 other strokes and this should be part of your description.

Also, when I think TI I obviously think Terry Laughlin, who just like Armstrong (Neil, not Lance) was the first (at least in my opinion) to establish a world class system. It's not easy to be the first. Soooo much passion too in the early days material.

Being the first to plant his flag on the world wide web was a huge thing. I come from a background where we used to teach in a way which is very similar, certainly compatible to TI. On our evaluation charts, we'd need to look for grimaces, or any sign of discomfort. We were not allowed to let swimmers being tensed, and add technical complexity on top of that. Balance was extremely important to teach, etc... But these paces were too rare, back to when I began (1988). Terry showed up shortly after and started to make this material available to the whole world.

The most efficient, etc swim technique? That I don't know. No one knows. The most efficient system to teach fundamentals of swimming (being relaxed, floating well, being streamlined)? Hmmmm I'd probably bet 5$ it actually is (among www companies at least). Total Immersion certainly comes top 3 in unique purposeful drill design. Romanov from Pose I believe got quite creative, but I think TI still has more. Pose does not address the beginner clientele at all, and beginners are probably the one who need drilling the most.

Anyway, Terry (since I believe you're following this). Anything would do, and what you wrote is awesome. You're a pioneer, an artist. So the above is by no means a criticism.

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 05-14-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2014

Talvi

The question I understand was: "What is TI?" and I can't see that the OP answers that. The OP says what TI offers, it says how good TI is and so on, but it doesn't actually say what TI is.

I loaned my Perpetual Motion DVD to the coach at our local pool as I wondered if she might coach me but didn't want a coach that didn't follow the TI approach. Her verdict was that there was nothing new in it. That threw me and I really wanted to counter with a: "the big difference between TI and other coaching methods is ...", but found I had no real reply, just novice waffle.

It seems to me that the question the OP answers is something like: "Why have a TI coach?" or "what else besides becoming a better swimmer does TI offer?". Maybe they are similar questions but they still seem to me to leave the first question begging. Having a good answer to that one would help any student of TI to promote it and word of mouth is a top marketing tool.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-31-2014

jenson1a

Talvi

Not sure what you are looking for in what is TI, but Terry says:

Total Immersion is also a method for continous lifetime improvement in swimming.

Were you looking for something a little deeper?

Sherry
Old 07-31-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
.. Were you looking for something a little deeper?

Sherry
Not at all Sherry, quite the opposite. And I think your answer would be a good one: "TI is a method for continuous lifetime improvement in swimming" but it was an "also" to the major statement that preceded it, and the claim in that relied on knowing what in the technique is different.

So is TI a swimming technique, some refinement or particular approach to for instance freestyle, such as a development of the front-quadrant style? Clareles seems to see TI as a unified approach to all strokes. Is that true and if so what is it and how is it the same across all styles?

Or is TI a teaching or learning approach based on a sequence of drills designed to build into a whole stroke?

Or is TI a form of meditation, such as yoga?

I think it is necessary to first define what something is and then claim benefits for it, rather than have claimed benefits stand as a definition. If it's done that way around it's far more solid.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov