Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013

johynr]]]
Default Garmin or Swimovate or something else?

Sorry if this has been done before, but does anybody have any recommendations between these two watches?

I have real problems counting and trying to swim with focal points.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Swim-...9205361&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swimovate-Po...9205361&sr=8-2
Old 01-26-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by johynr]]] View Post
Sorry if this has been done before, but does anybody have any recommendations between these two watches?

I have real problems counting and trying to swim with focal points.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Swim-...9205361&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swimovate-Po...9205361&sr=8-2
The swimovate is rubbish for TI, it needs at least 14SPL to count, Also, there is a program error so everytime you upload data in the pro version, the clock stands still so it loses 2 minutes of time.

Haven;t tried the garmin swimming watch but if its the same as the 911xt. then its close to wonderful, just pricey.
Old 01-26-2013

craig.arnold@gmail.com

I've been using the Garmin for a month now.

It seems pretty accurate and is very easy to use. I really like the data upload facility too.

All-in-all I have to say it has been very much worth the £95 it cost.

I make all the data on Garmin connect public so you can see the charts if you follow the link on my blog.
Old 01-26-2013

swim2Bfree

The FINIS Swimsense is more accurate and fully-featured than either of those watches. The build quality can be a bit sketchy, but FINIS is good about exchanges.
Old 01-26-2013

nicka

I use the swimovate every sessions and it works perfect for me.
I never realized there was a problem with laps under 14 spl but unlike Andy i do not have to worry about that :)
I only use it for the basics of counting laps and time and it has worked flawlessly for this counting every single lap.
I swim both 25 and 50 meter pools and i don't even change the settings and with sessions of 20 to 100 laps straight it has never missed a lap.
I like the feature where when you stop it it starts counting your rest and just hit the button once more for the next set.
I do not have the pro version just the standard version and i just retrieve the data out of it manually later easy enough and manualy enter this into Runkeeper.
Hope this helps
Nick
Old 01-28-2013

rcoxon
Default I have owned both

I owned a Swimovate Pro for over two years and had no issues with it in terms of counting strokes or laps, with the exception of few times doing extremely low (9) SPLs it would occasionally lose a length. I did not like the computer interface hardware (which died after 6 months) but did like the software for analysis. The the watch band broke two months ago (after two years of 3-5 swims a week, and being worn as my primary watch).

I have owned the Garmin Swim watch for two months now. The display is easier to read at the pool, and I like the "Rest Timer" mode for doing timed sets. It occasionally drops a lap (just like the Swimovate Pro did) but not at extremely low SPLs, seems more random, but still only a handful of lengths in the two months. The interface (Garmin's ANT USB dongle) seems to work OK, but I am not impressed with the Garmin Connect website for analyzing your swim (seems better targeted towards landsports, running and biking). It also had an issue this weekend where it recorded a workout as being for a prior day. Did this once on Saturday, but then was fine on Sunday.

If I were picking which to buy today, I would go with the Garmin.

I have no experience with the Finis.

YMMV.
Old 02-05-2013

JustinD

I have the Swimovate (not pro), Finis watch, and the Garmin.
I find the Garmin the best for me as it includes a drill mode that the others lack. Also the Garmin can be worn normally and its screen is easy to see.
I haven't used the Swimovate a long time ago but my memory was that it just didn't work that well.
The Finis is as accurate as the Garmin but: its screen is pretty difficult to read (impossible with goggles if over 45yr old); doesn't have a drill mode; needs physical docking to a PC to transfer and battery has to be charged all the time. Also, to get the full benefit from the Finis you need to download the data to Excel to manipulate it. I haven't tried that with the Garmin. So, my vote goes to the Garmin
Old 02-05-2013

johynr]]]

Thanks for everybodys input.

I bought a Garmin last week, and so far I am impressed with it, well except today when it reported backstroke when I was doing freestyle!

Last edited by johynr]]] : 02-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2014

LBRoberts

I too am thinking of getting one of these watches. In the year since the last post, has anyone else got views on the latest models?
Old 04-26-2014

LBRoberts

P.S. I have been off these boards for sometime (have been doing a lot of biking and only sporadic swimming). Am now doing both so may be back on these boards from time to time again!

Hi to everyone I knew from a couple of years back!