Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012

stratcat

Basic math seems to have failed me tonight... Hmm...

Just checking the pool mate, it's efficiency score works using the stroke count from one arm only plus the time. (either way my maths above was wrong though!). Different watch manufacturers may also calculate their scores in different ways.

Now for some math lessons...
Old 07-12-2012

mbruse

Sorry for vagueness. I was assuming all use this watch... The subsequent replies hit the nail on the head.

From the instructions
http://www.swimovate.com/EnglishmanualPool-Mate.pdf

Q What does the efficiency index measure?
A The efficiency index is based on the recognized Swim Golf method that you may be familiar with. It is the number of strokes plus the time taken to swim 25 metres. Concentrate on reducing this number to increase your efficiency and improve your swimming

Tonight I tried to count my strokes in my head. Boy that is difficult. I tried just counting the left hand when it entered the water, but somehow I was counting both hands entering the water by the end of the lap.

I suppose that this will get easier as I practice more.

Anyone got tips on best way to count in your head strokes?
Old 07-12-2012

mbruse
Default Clarification

Your last post is somewhat vague. What exactly are you referring to when you talk about 32 and 48? Many people are happy to help and encourage, but I would suggest that you become a bit more familiar with the jargon that TI people like to use in order to effect the best communication.
ian mac[/quote]

The 32 was calculated by the watch. I assume it was something like 22 secs /25 y plus stroke count of 10 approximately.

The watch does not display speed per 25y, only a calculation per 100m. It usually says 120 for me regardless of the distance I swam to reach that measurement. I assume that is 120 seconds per 100 which seems accurate.

Also I am referring to the swimovate poolmate watch. Not the swim sense by finis like I stated in the title.
Old 07-12-2012

CoachToby

As Ianmac stated earlier in this thread, never trust a watch to count your strokes. Knowing your stroke count for each length as you complete it allows you to assess the effectiveness of the focal point you implemented - letting a watch do all the counting and then reviewing the data at the end is pointless. Counting strokes is a skill that takes practice to master and can be challenging when your mind is crowded with other thoughts.
Old 07-13-2012

ian mac
Default A great way to learn stroke count

Mbruse,
There is an excellent TI drill that we refer to as the "4321". It will greatly help you to appreciate how to count strokes more automatically. Mastering anything takes time and gradual adaptation.
The "4321" consists of:
4 X 25, 3 x 50, 2 x 75, 1 x 100
after counting each hand entry(yes, you have to pay attention, sometimes the mind wanders, but if you do wish to succeed you will focus), on each successive lap maintain the same SPL. Take about 10 seconds rest between 25's(multiply the rest for each successive distance swum).
ian mac

Last edited by ian mac : 07-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2012

Donal F

I, too, use the PoolMate, and the results can be interesting. I've found that if I don't push and hold the button firmly to finish that the PoolMate will add a subworkout of a few seconds and zero strokes. Sometimes it adds a length, too. For the total workout it will average the stroke count between the real workout and the zero workout, effectively cutting the stroke count in half. You have to check the log to be sure there isn't a three second, zero stroke subworkout mixed in.

On a swim in the 50m lane last week, I lost a certain count of laps when a slow-swimming woman with a snorkel suddenly appeared in front of me. From my time I thought I had swum a slowish 1600, but the PoolMate told me I swam 1650 — which was impossible since I started and finished on the same wall.

How to count? You just have to tune out the other concerns, pick a uniform time to count, such as when the fingers break the surface, and say each number inside your head.
Old 07-14-2012

mbruse
Default Thanks

Thats good feedback. I'll try the 4321 with counts on hand entry.

Challenges in every direction!