Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012

Zanna

I place mine against the skull above and slightly forward of the ear and that works well for me.
Old 08-25-2012

danielkn
Default good news for the hearing impaired tiers

Like many others, I cannot hear the tempo trainer while swimming. I searched for ear plugs that would prevent water from entering my ears while allowing me to hear the tempo trainer. I found that Alpine swimsafe premium ear plugs fulfill these criteria because it has an special acustic filter that ensure that you continue to hear sufficient ambient noise. Today, for the first time, I was able to swim with my new ear plugs while being guided by the tempo trainer. I was forced to repeatedly readjust the placement of the earplugs but this improves with repeated use . When the ear plugs are positioned too deep in the ear the tempo trainer cannot be heard. Perhaps this is not the ultimate solution for the hearing impaired but I think the use of Alpine swimsafe premium ear plugs is worth a try.

Daniel
Old 08-25-2012

danielkn
Default good news to hearing impaired swimmers

Like many others, I cannot hear the tempo trainer while swimming. I searched for ear plugs that would prevent water from entering my ears while allowing me to hear the tempo trainer. I found that Alpine swimsafe premium ear plugs fulfill these criteria because has an acustic filter ensure that you continue to hear sufficient ambient noise.. Today, for the first time, I was able to swim with my new ear plugs while being guided by the tempo trainer. I was forced to repeatedly readjust the placement of the earplugs and the tempo trainer but this is improving with experience and not a real problem . When the ear plugs are positioned too deep in the ear the tempo trainer cannot be heard. Perhaps this is not the ultimate solution for the hearing impaired but I think the use of Alpine swimsafe premium ear plugs is worth a try.

Daniel
Old 08-25-2012

azamy
Default Tempo Trainer Pro Plus

I have an idea for Finis, why don't they design a TT with earphone+ear plugs I think that will solve this problem once and for all. It will be a TT with an earphone so the swimmer can hear the beep loud and clear and the earphone will also work as an ear plug to prevent water from entering into the swimmer's ears. Two birds with a single shot.

Maybe Finis can call it a "Tempo Trainer Pro Plus" ;-)
Old 08-25-2012

westyswoods
Default TT for the deaf

It took me almost two years of working through multiple iterations before coming up with an adequate and user friendly solution.

H20 Audio with an Ipod nano. This combination is very user friendly, short wires that don't get in way, adjustable volume, easy switching to different tempos. Customizable tempo tracks, special thanks to WFEGb for his work on this, is huge. H20 also has a set of various size and style ear buds, you can mix and match for fit.

I have had no problem keeping the buds in once I found the correct combination. Swam 45 min in OW two nights ago with cap on, never lost sound and not even noticeable.

My personnel experience with H2o has been very positive as they replaced one headset no questions asked, questionable if it was a manufacturing defect or result of my misuse.

Hope this helps, with the passing of time we will find a larger number who have the same problem.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-25-2012

WFEGb

Hi Azamy,

you should transfer this idea to Finis. Last year I made them aware that there are some swimmers with hearing problems and a lower beep frequenzy could be helpful. Got a kind answer and it should be passed to their development department.

Maybe there will come something when they get enough hints we are not only a few.

Regards,
Werner

PS: Westy and Andy (well known forum members) showed the right track for me with waterproofed iPod and/or H2O-kid
Old 08-25-2012

azamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hi Azamy,

you should transfer this idea to Finis. Last year I made them aware that there are some swimmers with hearing problems and a lower beep frequenzy could be helpful. Got a kind answer and it should be passed to their development department.

Maybe there will come something when they get enough hints we are not only a few.
I searched their web site but did not find any link to contact them. How did you get in touch with them?
Old 08-25-2012

WFEGb

... uups, can't remember... But in the upper line of their homepage:
"http://www.finisinc.com" there is a "Support-button" where you should be able to "create a ticket"... Remember they first thaught my TT was defect...

Regards,
Werner
Old 08-25-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkn View Post
Like many others, I cannot hear the tempo trainer while swimming. I searched for ear plugs that would prevent water from entering my ears while allowing me to hear the tempo trainer. I found that Alpine swimsafe premium ear plugs fulfill these criteria because has an acustic filter ensure that you continue to hear sufficient ambient noise.. Today, for the first time, I was able to swim with my new ear plugs while being guided by the tempo trainer. I was forced to repeatedly readjust the placement of the earplugs and the tempo trainer but this is improving with experience and not a real problem . When the ear plugs are positioned too deep in the ear the tempo trainer cannot be heard. Perhaps this is not the ultimate solution for the hearing impaired but I think the use of Alpine swimsafe premium ear plugs is worth a try.

Daniel
You have probably tried this but the TT is much much quieter if you use the goggle strap cradle instead of right against a bony part of the skull.
Old 08-25-2012

tony0000

The beep is transmitted best through water. If it gets above the water while your ear is below, it will be hard to hear. So make sure that there's water between your ear and the TT. For that reason, I wear mine on my goggle strap low on the neck.

Good luck,

Tony