Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012

andyinnorway
Default Supplements

No doubt a good topic to get the Doc ranting but I'll open it anyway.

Does anyone wish to share their supplement thoughts/ consumption.

I ask because since being in US the last month I have been taking both Flax seed oil and Fish oil as the price compared to Norway was exactly 1/10th.

Whilst it could be a placebo effect or a real benefit, I have swum twice on my own and an hour in the pool with the kids each day compared to 5 sessions a week at home and my shoulders have stayed loose and unstiff throughout.

Is this the oil doing its job?

I have also been taking ginger root, calcium/magnesium and Centrum men under 50.

I am starting to feel like my parents with my pill box (speedo ear clips box) coming out every lunch time for a quick swallow.
Old 02-19-2012

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
No doubt a good topic to get the Doc ranting but I'll open it anyway.

Does anyone wish to share their supplement thoughts/ consumption.
I am not a physician.
My personal take on supplements is that most are unnecessary, unless one has documented need for them. Where eating habits are poor, a multi-vitamin may be warranted. But REAL food is the best source of balanced nutrition.
That said, there is peer-reviewed study evidence that fish oil (1500) and vitamin D (800-1000) do good things. A daily baby aspirin (or bigger dosage) is often prescribed for heart patients, despite potential for stomach damage.

Medications always pose the risk of adverse interactions or reactions, and higher dosages - or being 'natural' - aren't necessarily better. The pro-supplement folks spin it differently, and there certainly may be a placebo element.

But you already knew all that. ^_^ Monitor yourself closely.

Last edited by borate : 02-20-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2012

tab

Don't be bashful, I am taking 4000 IU of D-3 and 2000mg fish oil. Have your blood tested for vit D, it will most likely be low. Just had my yearly checkup. The doc said 90% of the patients he sees are below the low level, that is under 10 on a scale up to 80. I came in at 38. For every 1000iu it will up your level 10 points. I have been told it is important to take D-3 with oil for it to absorb properly into your system.

I have not had a cold in 2 years, my unscientific study, the only thing different, I have gotten onto D-3, I also started swimming two years ago so that could be the real reason;-)

I also have joint issues which still come and go but on the whole seem better.

For our bodies to deal with the suns rays and assist with D levels we must be on a healthy diet, and the majority of people are not eating as they should. So much of our foods are highly processed, it is a shame.

Not a doctor, so go talk to your own for guidance.

Last edited by tab : 02-19-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

The oil is not lubricating your shoulder joints, but it's probably good for your overall health. ;)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-20-2012

Zanna

I've been taking fish oil for more years than I can remember. I started D3 about 5-6 years ago (fall-winter-spring). Low levels of vitamin D are correlated with many adverse health findings. Given usual lifestyles (9-5 indoors and sunscreen when outdoors), it seems that low serum D levels are common. My sister's serum D level recently tested at 19, when it should be 50-80.