Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011

Mempho
Default Try a snorkel?

I think I can breathe okay for a beginner, but breathing still throws me off-balance. As one of my regular drills, I swim a few half-lengths face-down. Staying balanced and in good form is soooo much easier when I don't have to breathe. So I'm thinking a snorkel might be a good idea.

(By "breathing okay" I mean I can comfortably breathe bilaterally for 200 or 300 meters. If I breathe every 3 strokes I can stay balanced for a stroke or so, but breathing every two strokes is maddeningly frustrating.)

So what do you say? Suck it up and work harder on integrating breathing, or wimp out and buy a snorkel?

Jim
Old 04-27-2011

westyswoods
Default Whimp Out

I guess I am a whimp, this morning after doing my drills and a 400 free I used a finis center mount snorkle for one length of superman glide and two lengths of whole stroke with focus on feel, trying to keep head still with focus on snorkle. It is a tool which I see nothing wrong with using so long as there is a purpose.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 04-27-2011

Mempho

Yeah, I'm secretly bending the same way.

I'd like to be a purist, just me, my goggles, and the water. I've used fins once, pullbuoy never, kickboard never. But -- if it's not an escape to avoid ever having to deal with a known problem -- if it's a way to work around a problem so I can work on other problems -- where's the harm?

Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen scared me away from fins for the rest of my life: http://www.aquaticedge.org/finAddict.htm

Jim
Old 04-27-2011

Richardsk

The pool I swim at doesn't permit fins or snorkels in public sessions. They do allow paddles, though, or at least nobody has asked anyone to desist while I've been there.

I would use fins and a snorkel if I could because I think they can be useful, and I occasionally use my finger paddles, which I think are beneficial. I would hesitate to use the big paddles, though. I'm planning to use my fins in the sea soon, when the water warms up a degree or so.
Old 04-27-2011

Mempho

Richard,

One of the pools I swim at has a sign "No Masks, No Snorkels, No Waterguns". But I've noticed they ignore the lap swimmers. If you're over 25 and not given to chasing other swimmers while giggling uncontrollably, you can use anything you want. Your pool may be stricter, though.

Jim
Old 04-27-2011

Richardsk

Hi Mempho

I'm definitely over 25 and if I chase other swimmers I seldom catch them. Giggling uncontrollably is not usually a problem. On a very quiet day they might allow a sneaky use of fin or snorkel, but I prefer not to bother the pool staff, who are very pleasant and friendly.