Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013

Caro
Default Question for Charles

On another post you told Richard that he needed to swim 100m in 1m31s to achieve a 14 minute 800m. What effort level is the 100m i.e is that 100% maximum or is it something one can maintain with, say 20 seconds rest?
Old 05-03-2013

CharlesCouturier

That'd be your best possible effort over one single 100m, swam as fast as you possibly can.

Here, you can use the page for yourself if you'd like:

http://www.arhy.org/swim-predict

Your question pertains to the second method of calculation. The first method is actually quite nice too. Input 2 entry points, and get your predictions over a bunch of events.

Left hand side column gives you your prediction according to your own individual fatigue decay, in this case called the SDI. Right hand side column rather gives you what your prediction should be, given the minimally good fatigue decay (in this case, 1.06).

Note that we start to read here and there that an ideal % of speed loss as the distance doubles would be 4%. Being 4% slower over 800 than over 400 would be a good indicator of fitness. Well that 4% also corresponds to a fatigue decay of 1.06.

Maybe that the last thing which can be said about the SDI concept, in regards to the first calculation method, is that though using different maths, this concept correlates with the CSS concept in that the prediction over 800m issued by the SDI concept = CSS speed.
Old 05-04-2013

Caro

Thanks Charles, I must confess I didn't really understand what the two columns meant. I'll have another look at it now you have explained it.