Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2016
haradoo

Default Open Water Races with Running Finish - Help

I wondered if anyone here has any tips or advice in avoiding dizziness when getting out of a mid-length (3k) open water swim? Tried earplugs but not much help.
Not sure why a swimming race has to finish 20 Yards on shore, but there we are!

Any help stopping the wobbles would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-04-2016

Danny

I'm afraid I don't have any cures to offer you, but your complaint does have a familiar ring to it, and I have spent some time thinking about such issues. Swimming is done in a horizontal position, whereas standing and running are done vertically. The demands on your system are quite different in these two situations. For me there is the issue of blood pressure, for example. A horizontal position in the water requires much less constriction of the blood vessels than standing or running out of the water, and my body has a tough time constricting blood vessels to keep the blood flow to my brain after I get out. Other issues are the muscles needed to maintain core stability in swimming and running. If these muscle patterns are different enough, it can take some time for your body to switch from one set to the other, which can make you wobbly. Last, but not least, some of this can be caused by hypothermia.

Not sure that any of this helps, but maybe if you spend some time thinking about these things, you can find some ways to minimize the effects. For example, most of the muscle patterns we use to maintain core stability occur on a subconscious level, but if you start paying attention to these issues and realize what muscles you need to stand and run, you may be able to raise things to a conscious level, which may help you to reinstate them under changing circumstances. As an old man, I also have this problem when I get out of the car after a long drive, but by paying attention to diaphragmatic breathing, which uses the muscles in my lower pelvis, when I first get out of the car, I seem to do better. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Hardoo,

You may be more susceptible to sea sickness if ear plugs don't help much. Take a non drowsy dramamine an hour before your swim/race will help. Practice using dramamine, don't want untill race day. Also, a common problem that causes dizziness is excess head movement for long periods. Use focus "keep head still" or "nose rides on a single track" on non breathing strokes.

Stuart
Old 08-04-2016
haradoo

solid advice from both thank you very much
I've a month til the next one so will start practicing with dramamine and the focus you mentioned Stuart.
It's frustrating as currently the difference between podium and 20th place ish in the 3k events I've done - takes at least 30 seconds to find my feet, meaning a sub-40min swim turns into 42 plus once balance is restored and the run over the line is done.
Old 08-05-2016

Caro

It supposedly helps if you kick hard for the last few hundred meters to get your legs going.
Old 08-05-2016

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by haradoo View Post
solid advice from both thank you very much
I've a month til the next one so will start practicing with dramamine and the focus you mentioned Stuart.
It's frustrating as currently the difference between podium and 20th place ish in the 3k events I've done - takes at least 30 seconds to find my feet, meaning a sub-40min swim turns into 42 plus once balance is restored and the run over the line is done.
Hi haradoo, at sub 40min over 3k open water you're fast and well trained! Maybe your dizziness is something trainable (also in the pool)? For instance, what about swimming sets where you exit the water at the end of one rep and run to the other side of the pool?
I remember when I learned flip turns: they gave me some dizziness at first, then I got used and that feeling disappeared. Hopefully this could be a similar issue.

Salvo
Old 08-08-2016
haradoo

Hi Salvo - thanks
I only train in open water throughout the summer, try to stay out of the pools, especially as I'm racing 70% of the time in a wetsuit..
I'm at the lake this evening and am going to take your advice and try a few running exits, every 1500m - should be interesting!
Old 12-26-2016

andyinnorway

Olympic Gold medallist Neil Brooks (1980) told me he kicks hard at the end of swim tri leg (last 250m) to be able to run fast to transition.

He also said its the main reason for doing regular kick sets in the pool - to speed up transition.

He doesn't swim in my pool anymore but didn't seem to use a big kick when he was swimming freestyle.