Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014

aquascum

I swim both with (outside) and without (inside) a cap. The only difference I notice is hair movement without.
Old 07-09-2014

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro View Post
Is it possible you were wearing a latex hat? They tend to get sticky which can be avoided by putting a bit of talcum powder in after use. You could try a silicone hat they are thicker and don't stick.
Neoprene hats are normally used for open water swimming in the winter. They are a bit dull so it's a good idea to put a colourful latex one on top to be seen.
You're right, I was using a souvenir from my Tri last year a white rubber cap worn over my neoprene warming cap that identified me as a nervous swimmer.

So it is a thin rubber thing -- I don't think it's latex, though -- isn't that more pricey? Reserved for high end racing bike tires, surgical tubing and condoms? More likely butyl rubber.
Old 07-09-2014

Caro

They call them latex hats in swim shops and they are the ones they normally give out at events. I can't say if that is what they are really made of but that is the implication.
Old 07-10-2014

jafaremraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post

There must be some reason why Terry prefers to use one in all his teaching videos, at least, and he's not using it to stash his Tempo Trainer. If he isn't concerned about the dorkiness factor, neither am I lol.
Advertising, always wears a TI cap.
Old 07-10-2014

Penguin

I too just tried a swim cap for the first time (in 60 years of swimming). I was going to Lake Winnipesaulkee in NH where the water can be pretty cold in June. Got a bright red and yellow striped silicone one and a spandex one to go underneath it.

I wound up not using the cloth cap. With just the silicone one, it was warm enough. But, it felt like my head was floating higher in the water. I found this disturbing because it was spoiling the feel of the head hanging, "totally immersed" posture in the water that I was just getting the hang of this spring.

If I wear just the cloth cap, my head feels lower in the water, and I do sense the water rushing over it.

This is all new to me, but reading this thread as well as "the eyes have it", I know that I am not alone.

Should I just go limp with the neck and let my head find its own level? Should I push my head down to where I now think it should be? Should I just set the cap aside now that the lake is warmer, or I will be back home swimming inside a heated box anyway.
Old 07-11-2014

aquascum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
If he isn't concerned about the dorkiness factor, neither am I lol.
Dorkiness?

But there are such pretty ones!

Old 07-12-2014

sclim

@aquascum: Hahaha! Cute!
Old 07-13-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquascum View Post
Dorkiness?

But there are such pretty ones!

Head too high! (Yeah, I know: We TI coaches spoil all the fun!)

Bob
Old 07-13-2014

aquascum

*grins* plus I'm almost standing... taking pics of swim caps was harder than expected ;)
Old 07-13-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I too just tried a swim cap for the first time (in 60 years of swimming). I was going to Lake Winnipesaulkee in NH where the water can be pretty cold in June. Got a bright red and yellow striped silicone one and a spandex one to go underneath it.

I wound up not using the cloth cap. With just the silicone one, it was warm enough. But, it felt like my head was floating higher in the water. I found this disturbing because it was spoiling the feel of the head hanging, "totally immersed" posture in the water that I was just getting the hang of this spring.

If I wear just the cloth cap, my head feels lower in the water, and I do sense the water rushing over it.

This is all new to me, but reading this thread as well as "the eyes have it", I know that I am not alone.

Should I just go limp with the neck and let my head find its own level? Should I push my head down to where I now think it should be? Should I just set the cap aside now that the lake is warmer, or I will be back home swimming inside a heated box anyway.
Just bumping your query over the heads of hilarity here Penguin :) My guess is let you head find its own level. But over to the coaches ...

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov