Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014

andyinnorway

A few weeks on and I'm still putting in lots of weak side lengths. It feels like a real paradox, the weak side is almost technically cleaner but the strong side is still more comfortable to swim so a preference.

After 1,000 lengths its at a point where I will use it in the open water and triathlon races this year, as much for mental variation as anything else.

I'm only swimming 2 times a week right now as I've signed up for a 100mile off road bike event that needs some preparation and respect as I haven't cycled that far since I was 19
Old 05-14-2014

Caro

Thanks for posting this Andy, it certainly made me think. I taught myself freestyle 26 yrs ago and up until 12 yrs ago breathed to the right every 2 strokes. I am now quite happy in a swimming pool with bilateral breathing but in open water I do not feel comfortable breathing to the left which is a bit of a nuisance.

After reading your post I did an experiment, 200m relaxed swimming:

bilateral - 3m 35s
right - 3m 35s
left - 3m 45s!!

I have since tried the same thing over other distances with consistent results. I figure the times for bilateral are the same as breathing to the right because there are fewer breathing strokes.

Since then I have tried some one arm drills. At relaxed speed 25m to the right takes ~ 36s and 25m to the left takes ~ 42s although as far as spl goes there is not much in it. I think the whole stroke is just more awkward and takes longer. I also noticed that when breathing to the left it is harder to keep in a straight line and I tend to drift slightly to the right.

The good news is that it gives me something to work on and if I can get my left breathing strokes as good as the right my times should improve.
Old 05-14-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritri View Post
Damn, you just reminded me that this is something I have postponed forever... I think the reason is simply that it's so frustrating to feel like a beginner again, ...?

I relish finding this kind of stuff! Something new to work on.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-16-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
A few weeks on and I'm still putting in lots of weak side lengths. It feels like a real paradox, the weak side is almost technically cleaner but the strong side is still more comfortable to swim so a preference...
That's exactly how it is for me now. Except that sometimes the weak side can even feel better overall! It's a bit like that wall thing, or crossing your arms the other way around. It just takes time to get to feeling at ease with the new.

My weak side breathing changed when during one session I just decided to continue with it and swam a 500m interval with it exclusively. Before that I'd been alternating, 50m one side 50m the other, or even every length.

Now I find switching is a help to inform my balance. Info from one side can be fed back into the other.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-16-2014

Caro

Have you tried timing it at the same perceived level of exertion to see if the weak side is really better? For me clearly the more comfortable side is the better side.
Old 05-16-2014

efdoucette

Because of this post I am also working on weak side breathing and, it's coming along okay. I do one length breathing one side then another length on the other side. But where both sides feel okay (weak side still the weakest) I struggle with bilateral breathing. It must be something in my rotation, must not be symmetrical, I think.
This is fun.
Old 05-17-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by efdoucette View Post
.. I struggle with bilateral breathing. It must be something in my rotation, must not be symmetrical, I think.
This is fun.
Me too. I think part of it for me is my fitness level - I need to breathe more often than that. However when I first used a TT my attention was so focused on the TT beep that I "forgot" about breathing and found I was bilaterally breathing naturally. A bit like running doenstarirs, as soon as i realized this the moment passed but it made me think again how big the mind is in this. I've often found that when really focused on something else breathing becomes something that "just happens".

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-17-2014

efdoucette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
I've often found that when really focused on something else breathing becomes something that "just happens".
I agree 100% and fortunately there are many other things to focus on.