Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Olympics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013

Richardsk

Women's 800 m FINAL

Ledecky does it again, with another WR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRp-xkxZB3c

I notice that the commentators have corrected the pronunciation of Ledecky to the American version. The BBC commentators don't seem able to pronounce many foreign names correctly. They do know a bit about swimming, though.

I noticed in the close up shots on the BBC iPlayer that Ledecky enters thumb first with her right hand but more or less flat with her left. I wonder if this is just a minor detail that isn't really important or perhaps something that might affect her longevity as a swimmer. Current thinking, I believe, is that the thumb first entry is dangerous for the shoulder.
Old 08-04-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Current thinking, I believe, is that the thumb first entry is dangerous for the shoulder.
Correct. Not good to let even a seemingly slight detail, that most would overlook, go uncorrected in a distance swimmer--probably high mileage trainer. Especially given the stakes, as she's currently #1 in the world 'with a bullet' as they used to say in Top 40 radio days.

Her final 50m split of 29.79 suggests she had a lot left in the tank at the end. I'd think she might be capable of 8:10 or faster if she had a rival capable of pushing her.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 08-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2013

andyinnorway

mens 1500m,

was Sun toying with Cochrane or was there evidence of a man whose been putting too much focus on his 200m swim to be as comfortable as he was last year at the longer distance?
Old 08-04-2013

Richardsk

My impression was that Sun was looking to win races rather than break records and that he did just what was necessary to win. Cochrane and Paltrinieri swam very well but I don't think there was any doubt that Sun was in control the whole time.

It is quite possible that he is not in quite as good condition as last year, but he certainly had a terrific meet.

He seems to have a lot of pent up anger in him that comes out after he finishes. Not unlike Cielo, really, who seems to go completely ape when he wins.

The women are all hugs and kisses, though, which seems quite genuine. Missy Franklin, in particular, seems the very distillation of sweetness and light, concealing a steely determination.
Old 08-05-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
My impression was that Sun was looking to win races rather than break records and that he did just what was necessary to win. Cochrane and Paltrinieri swam very well but I don't think there was any doubt that Sun was in control the whole time.

It is quite possible that he is not in quite as good condition as last year, but he certainly had a terrific meet.

He seems to have a lot of pent up anger in him that comes out after he finishes. Not unlike Cielo, really, who seems to go completely ape when he wins.

The women are all hugs and kisses, though, which seems quite genuine. Missy Franklin, in particular, seems the very distillation of sweetness and light, concealing a steely determination.
hasn't Sun had some issues with coaches and chinese federation this year? I think his post race explosions may be hiding more than cielo's
Old 08-05-2013

Richardsk

Yes. Sun has had a running battle with the federation. The impression one has is that they feel they own him. He had to hand over a large amount of his prize money because they had paid for his training in Australia and they didn't like his romance with some young lady - an air hostess, I believe, and accused him of slacking.

Morozov also had a bit of a battle with the Russian federation and in fact announced that he would be taking out some other citizenship before Rio. American perhaps?

The strange thing about Cielo is that he seems such an affable and laid back character except when he wins. And of course he always cries when they play the Brazilian anthem, so he is clearly a very emotional character.

I think they could all learn from Missy Franklin, who seems to wear a permanent grin.

What a wonderful week of swimming it has been, and the World Cup is coming soon. (;-)
Old 08-05-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Yes. Sun has had a running battle with the federation. The impression one has is that they feel they own him. He had to hand over a large amount of his prize money because they had paid for his training in Australia and they didn't like his romance with some young lady - an air hostess, I believe, and accused him of slacking.

Morozov also had a bit of a battle with the Russian federation and in fact announced that he would be taking out some other citizenship before Rio. American perhaps?

The strange thing about Cielo is that he seems such an affable and laid back character except when he wins. And of course he always cries when they play the Brazilian anthem, so he is clearly a very emotional character.

I think they could all learn from Missy Franklin, who seems to wear a permanent grin.

What a wonderful week of swimming it has been, and the World Cup is coming soon. (;-)
Not just missy but the whole USA team, Lochte always takes the time to congratulate the other teams or swimmers and I like the lack of ego so many of these top swimmers have.
Old 08-06-2013

Richardsk

I think the US swimmers must receive coaching in graciousness and diplomacy because they are always full of praise for the others in post race interviews. Either that or it is part of the national culture. As far as most sports go, winning is part of the culture, of course, and swimming is certainly one where a final without one or two US participants is rare.
Old 08-06-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think the US swimmers must receive coaching in graciousness and diplomacy
Upon qualifying for the national team, US swimmers do receive media training arranged by USA Swimming. The national organization also does much to cultivate team spirit, among swimmers who come from many different teams. National team swimmers are brought together for many training and culture-building events each year.

And perhaps some of Missy Franklin's perpetually sunny disposition and sense of perspective may be rubbing off on fellow USA swimmers. I've read accounts in which even rivals for Olympic and World Team slots say she breaks tension and puts others at ease in environments like the pre-race ready room. Since she has been on the national team, other elite swimmers would be spending a significant amount of time each year having that positive influence affect the face they show the world. Younger swimmers especially. Lochte has similarities.

I haven't met her but get the sense she is entirely genuine.

I've also read accounts by emigres to the US who say they find a sort of spirit of national optimism and openness refreshing upon arriving here.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 08-06-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2013

Janos
Default fast pools

Interesting comments regarding UK under performance in Barca. Apparently our training facility in Sheffield has oxygen and ozone in the water, and the correct depth for perfect buoyancy. Whereas the pools we compete in are 'slower'.
So head coach calls for training in other pools to prepare swimmers for slower water.
Should the water really be an issue? Should an elite athlete be able to adjust their balance to suit various conditions? Also, does anybody have a favourite pool purely for the quality of its water, as in, it seems to allow for faster swimming?

Janos