Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012

avijendr
Default Swimming help needed please!

Hello experts,
As part of my Scuba-diving certification, I need to demonstrate that I can swim 200 metres non-stop. The problem(s) are:
** I've been practising for the last 2 weeks, but how much I try I can't swim more than 100 Metres.
** I only know to swim freestyle and Breaststroke.
** As I was/am a body-builder I have reasonably good muscles, but very little stamina.

I am in deep s**t. If I can't show them I can swim for 200 metres I'll loose my money. I badly need to do scuba-diving as well!! What can I do, experts please give me some suggestions. The main question is - Can I achieve the 200 metres in the next 2 weeks. I am ready to sacrifice any sort of practice?

Cheers
AV
Old 05-29-2012

nicka

Well i am far from an expert or even a half decent swimmer being new to TI but what i do notice now with some swimmers who cannot swim too many lengths is that they are stroking way too fast and need to slow down the stroke to save energy and increase inefficiency in the stroke so try to push your hand way forward and glide more.
I am guessing there is no time delay so maybe slow down and relax with a long body line to streamline, its hard to say without seeing your swimming but that's about the best advice i can give.
Hope that helps.

Nick.
Old 05-29-2012

avijendr
Default Thanks Nick

Thanks Nick. I'll try to really slow down today and see the difference. You are right, I swim fast, and eventually get's exhausted.
Old 05-29-2012

efdoucette

Hello AV,
A number of years ago I became a certified scuba diver with PADI, and at thta time I was definitely a non swimmer. But we had to prove we could swim, I think it was only 100M, and with fins. It wasn't for stamina but to show we could move forward, relaxed in the water. The golden rule with scuba diving is not exerting energy, if you exert energy then you are doing it wrong. Perhaps your swim test is also with fins.
Good luck
Eric
Old 05-29-2012

avijendr
Default Thanks Eric.

Thanks Eric. But the padi certification guy said it is a general swim (Without any time limit & any stroke), but continuous swim of 200 metres (Without any fins etc).

It's really embarrassing honestly. Anyhow I am going to try really hard. I'll keep you guys posted definitely. Hopefully I can achieve this in 2 weeks rigorous training.
Old 05-29-2012

janedoemuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by avijendr View Post
Thanks Eric. But the padi certification guy said it is a general swim (Without any time limit & any stroke), but continuous swim of 200 metres (Without any fins etc).

It's really embarrassing honestly. Anyhow I am going to try really hard. I'll keep you guys posted definitely. Hopefully I can achieve this in 2 weeks rigorous training.
As Nick already pointed it out: Don't try hard - try easy and relaxed.

Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc
Old 05-29-2012

danielkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoemuc View Post
As Nick already pointed it out: Don't try hard - try easy and relaxed.

Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc

i'm a dive master diver and a esthusiastic student of TI. i think that you can acomplish with a slow and frequent training a 200 meters challenge without stopping i recommend you to adopt swimming and specifically TI as your favorite sport because to be in shape fo swimmig will help you to be in shape for diving , consume less air , to enjoy more and more. just take care not to leave your buddy behind
Old 05-29-2012

tddfleming

As has been stated, you can use any style. I know!! You can even make up swimming styles as you go. I think that Padi allows fins but you would have to do additional laps. When I did mine, I did a lot of back stroke stuff. Let me add, that since I got certified a couple years back I have made up my mind to learn to really swim. It has been a long process and I am no where near where I would like to be, but better than when I started. How are you at floating?? As you will have to do that also. Talk to your shop, they might have ideas also.
Good Luck!!!!
Desi
Old 05-29-2012

AJ

AV,

I am new to TI and my swimming is probably similar to yours. When I got my PADI certification ten years ago I did almost the entire swim on my back. You said you swim freestyle and breaststroke - so perhaps this isn't helpful - but it might be worth half an hour of learning. If you can float on your back then I think you can learn the "elementary backstroke" in a few minutes. Take it slow as others suggested and enjoy having continuous access to air while swimming on your back.

That suggestion will likely get you through 200m. However, TI is opening my eyes to the fact that swimming can be much more than just "getting through". I encourage you to follow TI beyond your PADI cert and enjoy swimming.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2012

MakoMike

Unless your breaststroke is really bad I would say concentrate on that and as others have said go slow. For slow breaststroke with a glide and pause you should be able to minimise the energy output. The big advantage breaststroke has over freestyle is that there is no problem breathing. Breathing problems are by far the biggest reason why people can't maintain freestyle.
Mike