Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011

Swim4Him
Default Breathing tips

I keep forgetting to breath until I'm completely out of breath, then come up gulping air and obviously creating a lot of drag. I'd like to do bi-lateral breathing, but can't seem to focus on it when I'm thinking "stroke, kick, stroke etc..." Any tips to try to remember when to breath underwater?
Non TI related issue too.... I'm working on doing Open Turns and find that I'm not being able to turn and push deep enough in the water, any ideas?
Thanks guys, you all rock!
Old 08-10-2011

Scotty
Default Exhaling is the key

For me, the key to successful breathing was a full and relaxed exhale both through the nose and mouth. When your lungs are nearly empty, your body and mind will remind you to breathe.

Regarding the depth of your push-off, try slowing down and not pushing off until you position your body properly to have a deeper descent.
Old 08-11-2011

daveblt

Remember to breathe as early as possible in the stroke , meaning as soon you begin the pull and the recovery hand enters the water .

Dave
Old 08-11-2011

RobM77

It sounds like you need to integrate your breathing into the stroke, rather than seeing it as something that happens every so often. Breathing every stroke cycle is probably a good way of doing this. I've been taught by my TI coach that the advantages of breathing every stroke cycle outweigh the streamlining disadvantages, so I would recommend this. The thing with breathing, in running, cycling and swimming is that, for me at least, it needs to be rhythmic and consistent to complete anything more than a sprint. Try one length only to the right, and then one length only to the left (think of it that you're always looking at the same side of the pool when you breath). Breathing to one side helps you get the technique right as well - with bilateral you're effectively completing a new skill every breath because it's a new side you're breathing to.