Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010

ames
Default Help for Straight Arm Entry

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to get your elbows high prior to the hand entering the water. I don't have a problem doing this with my right elbow but my left arm wants to go straight and enter the water parallel to the surface. I breathe to my right, haven't mastered left-side breathing yet. When I purposely try to bend my elbow it feels like I am sinking a bit, it is harder to get air, I lose my rhythm and struggle. I don't have any video yet but any suggestions based on that?
ames
Old 01-27-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to get your elbows high prior to the hand entering the water. I don't have a problem doing this with my right elbow but my left arm wants to go straight and enter the water parallel to the surface. I breathe to my right, haven't mastered left-side breathing yet. When I purposely try to bend my elbow it feels like I am sinking a bit, it is harder to get air, I lose my rhythm and struggle. I don't have any video yet but any suggestions based on that?
ames
I sort of use to do the same thing. I believe that it had to do more with rotation and timing than whether I thought about bending my elbow. The fact that you breathe to your right (just like I do) suggests our problems are the same. Here's some things that I did:

1. Make sure you are completing your pull. I had a tendency to pull to just above my hips and then I exited. I have long arms and exiting below my hips has given me extra stability and lift. That has meant that I can rotate slightly before I pull which has improved my rotation to the right. I'm higher in the water so my arm has to bend in order for me to properly mailslot it's target.

2. Make sure you aren't reaching too far out. I read somewhere that you should be targeting opposite elbow when spearing. Reaching too far out could cause you to straight arm it.

3. Rotate just enough on both sides. You're rotating fine on your left side because you need to get to air. As well as you can, rotate the same way on your left. If you rotate the same number of degrees on the right as you do on the left, I think your entry will look the same. That's why left side breathing would probably fix the problem.

To summarize, your problem isn't that you purposely straight arming your entry. You don't have the same angle of attack as you have on the right side where you breathe. With your current angle of attack on the left, your under rotation leaves little room for your arms to move. Then when you try to "make it happen", you lose balance and momentum and you sink.
Old 01-28-2010

naj

atreides, that is great advice. I would also mention that I had the same problem and when I saw what I was doing on video at the advanced TI workshop, Coach Dave reminded me to "Lead with your elbow." Leading with your elbow is perfect for dropping your recovery arm back through the mail slot. It is an odd sensation to lead with the elbow but you'll know when your doing it right when your arm-pit feels as if it is getting stretched a bit. I am now trying to ingrain this into muscle memory and like the two of you, I also have to be more disciplined at bilateral breathing. The new problem for me is that i am not engaging my hip drive well enough to get any decent forward momentum but I'm starting to get things right :)

Naji
Old 01-28-2010
dinah

ames, i also am a right sided breather and notice that my left arm tends to exit a lot straighter than my right which flows on to a straighter recovery arm and entry.

this was my focus a couple of weeks ago to try and correct it and make bilateral breathing easier. what i found was a definite imbalance in my rotation when right arm was leading. i focused on more of a hip drive with the right hip down and forward, engaging the core for stabilisation of the hips. it really made a huge difference and that tweak in rotation enabled the left arm to behave. it really made an elbow led exit and recover easier and set the shoulder better for re entry.

dinah
Old 01-28-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Zen-switch or fingertip drag drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQQ15NUazc

Also, think of leaning on your opposite underarm.

Last edited by shuumai : 01-28-2010 at 06:19 PM.