Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4 Weeks Ago

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post

Bump up to 20x100, 40x100, 60x100 on a 2:00 min (or whatever) swim interval, i.e. 1:30/100, 30 sec rest. Typically each New Year I do 100x100m and typically add 2 mins additional rest between 2000 (after each 20x100). Give it a try, swim for a distance outside of your comfort set and see how you do. Adjust the 100x100m pace so you can finish the 10k feeling great and accomplished.

Stuart
Hi Stuart, I like this! Never swam that much in a single session. The longest I've done so far was a 50x100m on 10-12s rest, 2 summers ago (quite a lot). What I like about these long and steady sets is that at 1h into the set or so, form typically starts to fall - despite you still breathe comfortably and can still focus on technique - and there you have a great opportunity to experiment and find your most efficient stroke.

But hey, 100x100m is really a lot! Do you drink something during the set to prevent cramps after 400 pushoffs?

Salvo
Old 4 Weeks Ago
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Salvo,

100x100m is a challenge, the last 3-4k requires razor focus as my mind starts to wonder as I fatigue. I swim the 100x100 in long course pool so 100 turns, 200 push offs. Swimming on 2min intervals, the 10k is roughly 3:20, and added breaks (food, bathroom) 3:30 ish. I consume around 8-12oz sport drink per hour and a pb&j on soft white bread throughout the set. That works for me, no cramps. It's that time of year (for me), new years pool 10k, gotta do it :-)

Stuart
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Streak

Hi Stuart,
Thanks for reminding us that there are other useful sets to do.
Prior to trying this USRPT stuff, I had never really tried to do anything in sets of 50 so it's a little refreshing to try and find areas of improvement over these shorter and more measurable distances. I want to find at least one area of improvement before moving on to the longer sets (100x100 phew, that's serious stuff). I am not as in tune with what my body is doing as the other folks here so need to think a bit harder about the various focal points and which could do with a bit more tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Yp_lgN4mQ
Old 4 Weeks Ago
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Joel,

USRPT is great stuff, use them (or version) at masters frequently, love its principles. But it is aimed primarily at short races. I see their influence with the AG teams at the pool now, short fast sets that align with the events the kids are training for, rather than beating up kids for 6000+ yards each night.

I think you may surprise yourself that you are more than capable of the 100x100m challenge. When you get midway through the 2nd 20x100, you find a groove where you slide into, keep moving and stroke is not breaking down and give you that moment, "hey I *can* do this". If you get to 40x100 and feel you've had enough, do another 10x100 and make it your BEST 10x100's of the set; then when you hit 50x100 - possibly do it again ... It's usually the mind, not the body, the stops you early.

Have fun with it!

Stuart
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Streak

In a 25yd pool that's a lot of lengths! I use a lot of energy in the push off.
Do I need to look for a long course pool?

Old 4 Weeks Ago

gary p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
In a 25yd pool that's a lot of lengths! I use a lot of energy in the push off.
Do I need to look for a long course pool?
When I did the 1 hour e-postal swim (as far as you can swim in one-hour) in a 25y pool a couple years ago, I was cramping pretty bad in my calves and thighs by the end from all the push offs.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hey Joel, Gary:

I would only do the 100x100 in long course pool, too many turns in short course. Although you get two more glides of rest off the wall, it's another 10m per 100 you're not stroking. But - if your calves cramp early on, after an hour, check how you are landing on the wall. If you don't allow time to engage the glutes and bounce off on toes only - you're using the calves only, small muscles. Allow yourself to sit into the wall a bit more after the tumble, push from your heals to activate the big muscles of the glutes or "rump muscles", gain greater velocity off the wall with big muscles and not overuse the weaker calves.

Stuart
Old 4 Weeks Ago

s.sciame

Hi all,
following up the recent conversations and in order to get ready for Christmas dinner, today I did a 50x100m (SCM) on 1:50 - completion time 1h30'. It was a very rewarding set, aerobically easy but challenging from a technical and mental standpoint. After the first few reps at brisk pace (1:30-1:32/100m) to wake up, I settled to a steady 1:35-1:36/100m at 18SPL and was able to hold this stroke count and pace for around 1h. Then stroke count went to 19SPL and pace about 1:37. In the end I felt fresh enough to swim the last rep in 1:30 at 19-20SPL. The main focus throughout the set was to hold DPS (which I know is crucial in these long sets) by paying attention to proper body rotation (especially to the non breathing side where I tend to remain pretty flat).

As Stuart mentioned before, the real challenge in these sets is in the brain. I finished fresh and could go on for another while, however 100x100 is really a lot. Maybe sharing the set with some other swimmers may help, but watching the black line all alone for 3h, wow...

Happy Christmas everyone!
Salvo
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Streak

Thanks Stuart. Something to look forward to.
Salvo, that's inspiring stuff. Really good pace. I would like to do those figures scaled for a 25 yard pool.
I do 6x100 yards now and again also on 1:50 in about 1:38 with a fair amount of effort. I need to start doing those far easier before increasing the reps or reducing the time.

Happy holidays to you all.

Joel