Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013

aquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
But I'm still slightly more comfortable breathing on my "good" side, and it stems from the fact that I'm not doing it in exactly the same way on the two sides. One thing I noticed several years ago is that when I was breathing on my good side, my eyes were looking back in the direction from which I had come, whereas when I was breathing to my bad side, my eyes were looking toward the side of the pool. I tried focusing on looking back when breathing on my bad side in much the same way that I did when breathing on my good side, and I began feeling less uncomfortable when breathing on my bad side.

So I'd suggest that you try to mentally compare what you're doing when you're breathing on the two sides and identify subtle differences.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. This is interesting, because this is exactly the main difference I notice: I look further back on the good side when breathing. So I'll try focusing on that. I assume that means I'm slightly lifting my head, which is what I fear. And that probably because I feel I have less time to breathe on my bad side. I also notice it's easier to "popeye" my mouth on one side (which is only normal, since I'd be holding my spinach in my right hand). Perhaps I should do some dry-land popeying on the bad side.