Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Recently I understand Suzanne's point more that the movement is more controlled on account of friction in water so I feel its closer in movement to a balance wheel than a pendulum
Interesting, I'm cool with balance wheel, as well as anything that rocks from side to side.
Old 12-15-2012

aquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I would guess that you would have to pause the rotation (or I would prefer to say place it) if you are going to have a patient lead hand as one needs the other?
Why? Can't you begin the "patient part" earlier in the rotation cycle, so that, when you switch, your hand has already been patient and is ready to move back?
Old 12-15-2012

aquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
Interesting, I'm cool with balance wheel, as well as anything that rocks from side to side.
What's not so cool is that it doesn't use gravity, but a spring.
Old 12-15-2012

CharlesCouturier

You're right. Back to square one I guess :)
Old 12-15-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
Why? Can't you begin the "patient part" earlier in the rotation cycle, so that, when you switch, your hand has already been patient and is ready to move back?
Yes. watch terry vs shinji
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-15-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
What's not so cool is that it doesn't use gravity, but a spring.
both free energy, no?
Old 12-15-2012

aquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
both free energy, no?
Not really. The spring has to be wound (given energy that it will give back) or the movement will stop. Even with no friction. The friction-less theoretical pendulum will go on forever.
Old 12-15-2012

aquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Yes. watch terry vs shinji
Are there any videos out there where you can see the timing of the patient hand and the rotation? I assume a front view would be the best (to see the rotation).

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2012
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
In other words, if you're thinking of all this as a continuous or perpetual motion, wouldn't it be better to focus on kicking, or catching, or spearing at a given moment of the rotation, rather than, as suggested here, wait for the arm to be in such or such position to start the rotation (which means you've stopped it)?
In one sense, it comes to the same thing. The bottom line is that your rotation and your stroke need to be synchronized with one another.

But from a practical standpoint, I'm not quite sure how you would carry out your approach. What do you do if you've reached the appropriate point in your rotation and your arm isn't in position yet to spear? You can't (or shouldn't) just go ahead and start spearing even though your arm is in the wrong position. But you can (if you're balanced) pause your rotation on the side and wait until your arm is in position before resuming your rotation.

But your eventual goal should be to adjust the timing of your stroke and body rotation so that they are synchronized and you don't have to choose which to adjust.

Bob
Old 12-15-2012

CharlesCouturier

Aquarius, for what it's worth...

Yang seems to benefit from this effect whilst stroking on his left arm (whilst breathing right hand side). He seems to literally stall on the right arm. So most people's idol over 1500 doesn't seem to need this effect much.

I believe in this effect, but remain quite far from being in a position to validate it scientifically. I work under conditions which should allow me to perform this sort of testing in the future. Until then though, this remains beliefs.

For now, the most useful application of this concept remains in the context of single arm drilling. I refused to comply with the idea of polluting this site with links that would be undesired.

I've created a little post on my personal board, entirely demilitarized (it's just a board, not promoting any other board). You guys tell me if it's still inappropriate.

http://triforums.vo3max.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1125