Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015

darkuser999
Default Beginner Swimming - Tackling the Deep End

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice here. So i'm currently learning how to swim as an adult. I started taking lessons at a shallow pool a few months ago, and today managed to swim my first 20m. From being a complete non-swimmer, i was quite satisfied with that, but i know there are loads more milestones i need to reach. One of which of course is swimming in the deep end. In fact it's hard for me to say i can even swim without being able to do this. Particularly when using public pools, i have to turn back before the ramp. Virtually noone there does this!

So here's the problem. Even though i can swim a length, my form was very far from great. I'm feeling my hips still sink too much. I naturally prefer to breath to my right, presumably coz i'm right-handed, and my left arm does not mirror my right too well. I also tire very easily making me want to give up and drop my feet, obviously something i can't even think of doing in the deep end. Could i attempt the deep end? Not like this. Starting from the deep end, i can probably confidently clear 10m back to the shallow end, but it's still not certain.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2015

efdoucette

Can you take the outside lane along the wall. That way if you become overwhelmed you can just reach for the wall. Just a thought.
Old 05-01-2015

borate

Practice being comfortable floating on your back. That way, if discomfort sets in you can flip over ... and ride it out. Takes time, but you will be able to challenge the deep end as your confidence and endurance increase.
Remember, you're only using the top few feet of the water. ^_^
Old 05-01-2015

novaswimmer

You're probably not quite ready for the deep end yet. Just get really comfortable in shallower water first.
Old 05-02-2015

igorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaswimmer View Post
You're probably not quite ready for the deep end yet. Just get really comfortable in shallower water first.
I agree 100% with this comment....nothing wrong with working on your form and fitness in the less deep end. I learned to swim as an adult...the confidence comes with ease in the water.
Old 05-05-2015

sclim

I'm still a beginner, but I feel I have progressed wonderfully using the TI philosophy augmented with thoughtful feedback from this forum.

I cannot emphasise strongly enough the advice that I have learned from TI: that the fear of not getting air, and the natural human reaction to this fear (tensing, raising one's head to air, kicking harder etc.) is the single most handicapping factor that adult learners are saddled with.

Therefore, TI recommends you first get comfortable with supporting yourself at ease horizontally in the water AND LEAVE WORRIES ABOUT BREATHING AND LEARNING TO BREATHE FOR THE FUTURE. This means confining all your early efforts to the shallow end where you have total confidence that you will always get easy air merely by standing up.

This may seem so counterintuitive that it may be a barrier to acceptance and learning. But again, I emphasise there is deep wisdom and pragmatic value in this. Get the new book "Swim Ultra-Efficient Freestyle", it really is well put together and will get you from A to Z, or at least to Q, R or S, which is all you care about for now!