Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011

aquabikenewb
Default Nausea and Dizziness- what happened?

Hi,

I'm new here and new to Total Immersion but totally committed to TI. I signed up for a Half IM distance Aquabike on 9/24th (my first ever tri event, but I'm a longtime road cyclist) because it's on my 57th birthday and I thought it would be a good challenge. I just didn't know how good a challenge..

I've only been training (swim training, the bike will be easy) since early June. When I first started I couldn't swim 50 yards without stopping. Last Friday in a pool (25 yard) I swam 2100 yards without stopping. All freestyle except for one time when I rolled on my back to check my watch. I felt great, I was keeping my head down, rolling to the air instead of lifting my head and smooth with my stroke.

I thought - for the first time since I signed up for the Aquabike - I can do this!

I have watched every TI video I can get my hands on. I find them mesmirizing. I can't swim like that, yet, but I want to and will continue to work at it. I've read Terry's blog, this website and the book, "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy", I'm currently reading "Zendurance" which I also love. TI is a philosophy of sport that meshes with my philosphy of life and through its principles I've discovered I love swimming!

Today I took my 2nd open water swim. I was miserable. My goggles filled with water which they never do, and I couldn't get them set right for awhile, so I started out badly. The worst part of the day was I got really nauseous and dizzy. I get that in the pool sometimes but never like this. I had to stop and get my bearings then go again several times. I don't know if it was the choppiness of the water, something I ate or what, but it was very bad. I am very susceptable to motion sickness, you never want to be with me on a boat - it's not pretty.

Also, I was wearing a wetsuit, water was not cold, and I do bilateral breathing.

I'm not sure what I can do for it while I'm swimming.. any ideas on the cause or solutions?

I would appreciate any feedback,

Susan

Last edited by aquabikenewb : 09-04-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2011

cynthiam

Congratulations on your swim progress -- that's impressive. I'm committed to TI, too, and am still very much working on my stroke fundamentals.

Sorry you had such a miserable time in that 2nd ow swim. I swim in ow 2 days a week, and it's usually at least a little choppy. I don't experience any sort of motion sickness, so the movement of the water doesn't bother me.

I do, however, wear silicone earplugs every single time I'm in ow. Mainly because my water is chilly, usually in the 50's F or up to about 62. Colder water in the ears seems to have more of an effect than warmer water. Was the temperature of the water significantly colder than your pool?

Do you use ear plugs? I hear folks say they can get disoriented in ow if they get water in their ears. And I know several people who use them in the pool.

If you did use ear plugs in ow, maybe a different type might help. The silicone blobs I use seal out all water (and some sound). They're not good for diving or any activities where there will be a pressure change, but they're fine for swimming.
Old 09-05-2011

aquabikenewb

Cynthiam,

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement. I was very discouraged initially after my swim today but then looked at it more objectively and decided it wasn't horrible and the next one would probably go better.

The water wasn't any colder than the pool where I swim. I don't use earplugs but since my post I've done some research and found many people swear by earplugs and something called sea-bands for dizziness/nausea. Think I will invest in both. Which earplugs do you use (brand)?

I'm also going to cut back to just one pool swim and 2 open water swims for the next 2 weeks to hopefully get more acclimated.
Old 09-05-2011

RobM77

Dizziness from cold water in the ears is very common, and it's well worth considering this as a cause. I wear ear plugs to combat this; it can be quite severe for me. I too suffer from terrible motion sickness (I can't even read on a train!), so always swim with earplugs in. Are you sure that the water wasn't colder than your pool? Even the coolest of pools are circa 24 degrees C, which is almost the temperature of the Indian Ocean...

You could always try taking something like Stugeron. I had a long train journey last week and took it so that I could read to pass the time. Worked a treat.
Old 09-05-2011

The Parrot
Default Dizziness at sea

Last year I certainly had symptoms similar to yours. I was trying out a new wet suit in the (quite cold - British!) sea and only swam a mile or so but I was so dizzy I could not really stand up when I got back to shallow water. I had to crawl out. I swim more than a mile five times a week in a pool and have never felt like that, it was absolutely horrible and made me wonder if I should continue sea swimming. When I thought about it, I wondered if the suit neck was too tight and when I tried again on another day (with back-up nearby) I left the zip fastening undone by about three inches and just used the neoprene strip to seal the neck. That seems to have sorted it and I have not experienced the same thing again, thank goodness. I think the suit was cutting back the supply of blood to my brain. (Or perhaps my brain is too small for the blood to find it . . ?)
Old 09-05-2011

aquabikenewb

I should have said I live in the heat belt - Oklahoma. The lake is as warm as our pool, something above 80 I would guess. Trust me there's no cool water in Oklahoma.

But, it certainly could be the wetsuit, it is tight. That's a good idea to not zip it all the way up, I'm going out wednesday for my next ows - also armed with earplugs! I had no idea these symptoms were so common.

Is Stugeron an OTC med or prescription? Did it make you drowsy at all?

Thanks very much!

Last edited by aquabikenewb : 09-05-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2011

The Parrot
Default Stugeron for motion sickness

Stugeron is one of the more successful anti-histamines marketed for (but not originally developed for) motion sickness and is very well known amongst the yachting fraternity. In the UK It is an OTC if bought in moderate amounts. However, whatever the pack says, it CAN make you drowsy and when, as a yacht skipper, I am responsible for my family and other crew at night in bad conditions, I think it better to be sick as long as I can still function rather than dopey and falling around half asleep. Anti-histamines at the same time as alcohol are extremely bad news but that is hopefully unlikely when swimming open water. I suppose the risk of compromising your body's efficient functioning with 'sleepy' pills may be less threatening than the risks associated with vomiting whilst swimming in the middle of the sea!

Pressure bands work for me in seasickness but not my family. But I cannot imagine how you can keep them in the right place when pulling your tripes out in a competitive swim. They are also used for other medical conditions where nausea is involved, with mixed results.

There's an old line, 'The best way to deal with seasickness is to sit under an apple tree . . .'
Old 09-06-2011

aquabikenewb

Thanks, Parrot, but I don't want to take anything that would make me sleepy, so I hope the ear plugs or sea-bands will work (plus loosening my westsuit at the neck).

I also wonder if I was exhaling at first, I'm not sure. I was focused on my goggles and trying to stop the leaking and think I may have been holding my breath. That could certainly be a cause of dizziness/nausea I would think.

I'm hopeful the earplugs will fix it, from what I've read, it seems to have for most.

Susan
Old 09-06-2011

cynthiam
Default Mack's ear plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabikenewb View Post
I don't use earplugs but since my post I've done some research and found many people swear by earplugs and something called sea-bands for dizziness/nausea. Think I will invest in both. Which earplugs do you use (brand)?
I use Mack's "pillow soft" silicone ear plugs. They're white blobs that you roll into a ball and press onto, not really into, your ears. They come in a hard plastic case. They lose their stickiness after several wearings (or after dropping them in the sand, on the floor, etc.), so I buy the cases with 12 in them. I wipe my ears with a tissue before using the ear plugs because my skin can be a bit oily.
Old 09-08-2011

aquabikenewb
Default Success!

I used my husband's earplugs today, unzipped my wetsuit a little at the neck and NO dizziness or nausea on my open water practice swim! The lake was as calm as glass which I'm sure was part of why I had no ill effects. I hope it wasn't the main part.

I'm doing my first timed open water swim Sunday, one mile. I'll wear the earplugs and hope for no sea sickness. I found out about this OWS from Steve Howard who was a guest blogger on Terry Laughlin's blog. Steve did the same Aquabike race I'm doing on 9/24th, which will be my first Tri (Bi) event. In fact he did the event I'm doing Sunday last year too. Small world...

If you haven't read Steve's post I encourage you too, it's very inspiring.

Link:http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/1392

Susan