Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
I have the feeling that below SR=1.2 it is more difficult to stay coordinated and it will take a lot more time if I ever try. ALEX
I'm pretty convinced your nervous system/brain can adapt to nearly anything if you give it time. The most exciting insight I've gained from TT practice is how marvelously plastic/adaptable neurons are.

I had an interesting experience in the last two days. On Tuesday I swam 2400 yards in Lake Minnewaska, doing 6 x 400 at a series of descending tempos - 1.00, 0.98, .96, .94, .92, .90.

I had planned to do only 5 x 400, finishing at .92, but it still felt pretty quiet, smooth and not rushed. So I decided to do a Sun Yang 400 (he swam his 1500m world record at .90) to finish. It's quite striking how leisurely he made that look. When it's YOU swimming at .90 it feels REALLY brisk.

And yet it was exhilarating. I felt like I was just flying. So I determined that I'd do at least 200 yds @ .90 in all my subsequent lake swims. Yesterday I took a client up to the lake and spent about 40 minutes swimming with her at a 1.50 tempo. When she decided to take a rest break, I said "While you rest I'll show you Sun Yang's tempo." (She's from Taiwan.)

I reset TT to .90 and took off. No matter what I did I could not keep up with that tempo. About 20 hrs earlier I'd matched it easily. But that was after working gradually down from 1.0.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 08-18-2011

RobM77

Terry: Out of interest, in your descending tempo experiment did you time each 400 metres as well? I'd be interested to see the relationship between stroke rate and pace to see how efficiency changes for different stroke rates.

I realise that stroke length (i.e. SPL) is the third factor in this, but nevertheless it'd be interesting to see SR vs pace, and given your obvious lucidity and awareness of your own stroke, perhaps a guess on how your stroke length (i.e. SPL) may have been varying with SR.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011

AWP

Good query Rob, I found my limit for the moment in my practice yesterday morning.
Although the increase in tempo was managable and actually became 'easy' and although I was able to stay within an average spl range my times failed to improve after certain tempos (1.03 -1.00 / ..99-.96, improved @ .95)
What would this suggest?
My 'success' came in form of my comfort @ these tempos and the ability to manage, at times maintain, spl. Now I need to work on the efficiency part; balance, form, turns, applied pressure on catch to spear ratio etc.
Btw, although my times stopped improving they did remain constant never increased. What would this suggest?
Next time I think I'll slow the tempo when I "hit a wall" but try to not only maintain my 'combination level' but improve upon it as tempo 'slows'.
Fun stuff and extremely engaging. Perhaps I'll share the practice on the "Favorite Practices" conference when I have a chance.

Best,
Alan
Old 08-18-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
My 'success' came in form of my comfort @ these tempos and the ability to manage, at times maintain, spl. Now I need to work on the efficiency part; balance, form, turns, applied pressure on catch to spear ratio etc.
I didn't time those 400s, but I did get a measure of how I was doing. Each 400 was two lengths of a 200-something (somewhere between yds and mts) cable. The cable has large buoys at 50-something intervals.
On the 1st 200, I just focused on getting comfortable with the new tempo. On the 2nd 200 I counted breaths (a way of counting strokes since I was breathing left) trying to cover the 2nd and 4th 50s in 23 breaths (46 strokes) as tempo got faster. I eased up a bit on 1st and 3rd 50s.

Like Alan, a good deal of my TT practice in open water I'm measuring success subjectively, trying to maintain a sense of leisure and relaxation, keeping my stroke quiet and splash-free, trying to catch firmly.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story