Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013

sojomojo has disabled reputation
Lightbulb How to keep count of swim laps . . .

As a senior citizen learning to swim, my ultimate goal is to swim a mile (1,650 yards) using this website as guidance:

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

I swim in a 25-yard pool so thatís 33 laps. When I swim laps, I tend to zone out, so I lose count after only 5 - 6 laps. It then becomes a guessing game.

There are watches and other mechanical and electronic devices that can count laps, but most have small number displays which I canít read without my reading glasses. I also didnít want to spend that much money for something thatís of limited use out of the pool. It finally dawned on me that thereís an old tool that can be used for counting laps thatís low-tech, low-cost, easy to use, waterproof, damage-proof and idiot-proof.

If youíve been in the military or Boy Scouts, you might be familiar with the Ranger Pace Counting Beads (or the Army abacus). With the advent of GPS and the pedometer, itís not something thatís common in todayís high tech world, but Iíve found it very effective to keep track of how many laps that I have swum. It also gives me a quick visual feedback as to what Iíve swum and how many more laps I need to swim. Itís also a very good motivational tool. Oftentimes I want to give up until I see that I only need a few more beads so I suck it up and push on.

This is how I use the Ranger Pace Counting Beads to count swim laps.

The beads are divided into two sections of 4 (top) and 9 (bottom) beads.

1. Each of the bottom beads equals 1 lap (50 yards).

2. Each of the top beads equals 10 laps (500 yards).

3. After I swim a lap (or two or three laps), I pause to slide one bead for each lap from the bottom section down.

4. When all 9 beads from the bottom section have been slid down, I swim one addition lap and then slide one of the top 4 beads down to show that I completed 10 laps (500 yards). I then slide the 9 bottom beads back to their original position and start all over again.

To get to a swimmerís mile (1,650 yards), I need to finish with 3 of the 4 top beads down (1,500 yards) and 3 of the bottom 9 beads down (150 yards).

I put a small carabiner on my Ranger Pace Counting Beads and attach it to my flip-flop sandals which I keep at the edge of the pool. This keeps it anchored down making it easier to slide the beads and keeps it from getting lost. Iíve also attached it to the lane pool divider.

Hereís a couple of links on how to make and use the Ranger Pace Counting Beads for its intended use. I think you can see how it can apply to counting swim laps.

http://lifehacker.com/5850246/make-a...lking-distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MEynCUua-0

The Ranger Pace Counting Beads are easy to make (be sure to get plastic beads; not metal or wood), but I purchased mine on eBay for $3.99 (with free shipping). Since I only needed one, I figured Iíd end up spending more than $3.99 if I went out and bought the paracord and the beads plus the cost of gasoline driving to the stores.

Hopefully, this tip will help those who need to count laps. It has helped me in my goal to build up my endurance to swim one mile. Itís also helped me to keep an accurate record of the total distance that I swim. I write down distance in my swim log since I want to see how much I can swim in one year.
Old 04-19-2014

Petunia
Default Counting laps

I purchased the beads used by beginner golfers to count strokes per hole. The plastic beads slide along a string and have a clip on the end which I attach to my water bottle. Each bead counts as 5 laps. When I stop to rehydrate after 5 or 10 laps, I slide 1-2 beads. 7 beads = a mile.
Old 06-15-2014

Talvi

There is also this little device if you only want to count lengths, but maybe the display is too small: http://www.sportcount.com/featureChart.php

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 06-15-2014

wildman

At last a thread I can contribute to -- been lurking for about a year

I use a golf tee on the edge of the pool like the hour hand on a clock. Nudge it one number per lap 1 through 10 then go back to 1 and repeat. Cut a flat side on it so it doesn't roll around. So far, I have no trouble remembering my laps to the nearest ten.

I guess you can forget this method if you flip your turns!!!
Old 06-15-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
There is also this little device if you only want to count lengths, but maybe the display is too small: http://www.sportcount.com/featureChart.php
I have been using the SportCount Chrono 100 for many years. Its big advantage over the other methods discussed in this thread is that it doesn't require that you keep stopping to set it. It also gives you a total time for a set, an average lap time, a fastest lap time (and which lap it was), a slowest lap time (and which lap it was), and individual times for up to 100 laps (hence the name). You wear the watch on your index finger, and tap the button when you start and at the end of each length. After you stop, you press the button and hold it down, and it backs up to the end of the last lap and then lets you look at all the times.

I originally began using this watch when I was working on 800m freestyle. I was having to swim 35 lengths of a 25y pool (875y is approximately 800m), and while I could time myself using the second and minute hands of the pace clocks, it was hard to be sure at times whether I had counted the lengths correctly. I'd see an improvement in my time and wonder whether I had really improved or whether I had just miscounted pool lengths. I couldn't look at the watch while I was swimming, but at least when I finished, I could determine whether I'd counted correctly. It was also a lot easier than calculating my time from the pace clock, and it gave me lots of valuable pacing information.

The watch is available through the Store section of this site.

Bob

Last edited by CoachBobM : 06-15-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2014

andrewuza

I swim the alphabet ... 1st wall touch A, second touch B, etc. I do still have to repeat it as I'm swimming ("n, n, n...") but even if I space out a little, I'm usually not more than a letter or so off so it's easier for me to keep track than it has been for me to keep track of numbers while swimming.
Old 06-27-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewuza View Post
I swim the alphabet ... 1st wall touch A, second touch B, etc. I do still have to repeat it as I'm swimming ("n, n, n...") but even if I space out a little, I'm usually not more than a letter or so off so it's easier for me to keep track than it has been for me to keep track of numbers while swimming.
BRILLIANT!!!!! For so many reasons.

p.s

@Wildman: congrats on losing your forum virginity I'm not a golfer, but your method seems, to me anyway, to be a really original and neat technique. I think I'd be way too clumsy though!

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 06-27-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2015

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
I have been using the SportCount Chrono 100 for many years. Its big advantage over the other methods discussed in this thread is that it doesn't require that you keep stopping to set it. It also gives you a total time for a set, an average lap time, a fastest lap time (and which lap it was), a slowest lap time (and which lap it was), and individual times for up to 100 laps (hence the name). You wear the watch on your index finger, and tap the button when you start and at the end of each length. After you stop, you press the button and hold it down, and it backs up to the end of the last lap and then lets you look at all the times.

I originally began using this watch when I was working on 800m freestyle. I was having to swim 35 lengths of a 25y pool (875y is approximately 800m), and while I could time myself using the second and minute hands of the pace clocks, it was hard to be sure at times whether I had counted the lengths correctly. I'd see an improvement in my time and wonder whether I had really improved or whether I had just miscounted pool lengths. I couldn't look at the watch while I was swimming, but at least when I finished, I could determine whether I'd counted correctly. It was also a lot easier than calculating my time from the pace clock, and it gave me lots of valuable pacing information.

The watch is available through the Store section of this site.

Bob
Coach Bob

Is this really a watch or a ring? I had looked it up on finis and it looked as if it was a ring. My question would be the issue of sizing. Can you elaborate?

Sherry
Old 02-07-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I believe it's a ring--it was the last time I checked, which has been a long time. To my recollection, the band is an adjustable fabric one.
I think I'll order one to give it a test.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-07-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Coach Bob

Is this really a watch or a ring? I had looked it up on finis and it looked as if it was a ring. My question would be the issue of sizing. Can you elaborate?

Sherry
Hi Sherry, it's a ring - see here: http://www.sportcount.com/featureChart.php

~ Aleksandr Popov