Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2018
liolio

Default Side breathing for symmetrical strokes.

Hi all,

Just a "random" question. Does anybody here have success implementing side breathing for breaststroke and butterfly?

Ive started evaluating it for myself and I wonder if others found the approach some merit.

It seems more "necessary" in butterfly than in breaststroke as getting the head out of the water comes at a higher cost but I want to swim breaststroke more and I realise that knees aside (...) it sure puts a strain of your cervical vertebras (butterfly does to).

I tried today, it felt pretty weird not at all what I expected.
I though it would easier to properly fit in breaststroke... not all. It was tough for me to resist the habit to raise the head whereas side breathing calls for a different motion (even though there is still some head elevation.
As I was going for the swim I though that it would be easier to rotate the head after the pull. I turned out that it does not work for me. lots of elevation has already happened by that time which meant that I had to rush my mouth to side completely breaking the stroke. I also tried during the pull which got me pretty twisted unless I had more tensions than practical to my core.
I gave up and resume working on standard breast.
Next time I will try something else, aka have the head already rotated early in the stroke / at the catch and keeping it there till an extra rotation for breathing and then realign into the extension and the kick. I think I may have done inadvertely a couples times aduring my trial today, the couples time it felt ok. The movement may be ok ut definitely one should breath on both side to equalize the muscle strain.
Something that was feeling pretty weird is that all of the sudden breaststroke entered "freestyle territory" for me. I could no longer see forward and the breathing win dows is shorter as a result the feeling of being constanly underwater was much greater.

Then butterfly. For the ref I can't swim it much so I did not spend as much time as I did on breast. The couple first moves were a disaster both sides, pretty much stopping the stroke altogether.
As for the breast I though that rotation the head more after the pull (more in the push section and on) would be easier... not at all. I completely rotated, and bent doing one of my arm (depending on the side choosen for breathing) could not even get out of the water.
As for the breast I think an early rotation with extra rotation at the breathing time.
I actually manage to take a few good strokes (20m) while breathing on the left side only (I notice the same in breast). Nobody was monitoring me but I wonder if I did in fact better than usual.
Same remark as with breaststroke: it is a significant change of perceptions. To no longer see forward every cycle, and not having the head out (no matter the volume of air you get) =>the whole thing gets more aquatic.
---------------------------

Whereas most people should breathe on both sides, I tend to turn into a S insteand of remaining a "î" when I turn my head to the right so turning my head left force me to keep things straight. It allowed for the chin to remain tuck which is healthier (assume one work on both side, the same applies with freestyle).

Overall I think it may be worse spending some extra time evaluating the breast, I may addopt it for the butterfly. On top of it I like the idea of normalizing breathing on three of the 4 racing strokes.
Old 08-25-2018
liolio

Update I was tired for my last swim though...
Breathing properly on the side is next to impossible to me in breastroke without adapting my arm pull to the motion. I wonder if it is worse it... can be a funny exercice along with high pace kicking... dunno :|

Too tired to have a furtheropinion on butterfly.
Old 08-27-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

There are a few elite swimmers who do side breathing on butterfly. The advantage is that they don't need to pulse as high to breathe, and since coming up to breathe requires breaking out of your streamlined horizontal body position, it follows that not coming up as much will make you, on the average, more streamlined. But you have to weigh that against the awkwardness, and possibly even the neck strain, produced by side breathing.

As you've noted, both butterfly and breaststroke (unlike freestyle and backstroke) are inherently symmetric strokes, and forward breathing therefore more naturally fits those strokes. There are a number of things that the rules allow that aren't necessarily beneficial to do. If all elite swimmers are doing something a particular way, you probably want to do it that way. If some elite swimmers are doing something one way and some are doing it another way, then it may be worthwhile to try it both ways to see which works best for you.

Bob
Old 08-29-2018
liolio

Thanks for the insight coach :)

Indeed I gave up on this approach. For the butterfly I realize I don't need, there is/was a massinve inefficiency in my underwater arm movements. I had pretty much no push. The catch was ok but then I was a little too careless with my pull which was setting for an inexistant push.
I understoo I have to work consciously my back muscles (romboide, mid and low trapeizus during the pull so I'm in a proper "shape" to efficiently push.
The lack of power during that face was clearly what was making my breathing complicated and so my recovery.
I've yet to postural work to do, to resist my muscular imbalance, so really relaxing prior breathing is too much for me at the moment, I can't focus on so many things. Yet I had 25/30m today at high pace it felt great, I could have continue but I crossed somebody my breath was gettig a little short too.
I think I've got the core of my butterfly dow today, I'm extremely happy about it.
As I was thinking about this lack of power during my pushing phase I wonder if it carried to my freestyle without me noticing... guess it did. As I tried to correct it I realized instantly that my body rotation was slightly ahead of my arm motion. Again quite happy about the finding significant gain in power with next to no extra efforts. As Dara Torres said in an interview"she tried to involved more muscles into her swimming" that is a great advice, a whole mbody activity, you share the load on lots of muscles and gain ahead room.
Old 08-29-2018
liolio

Thanks for the insight coach :)

Indeed I gave up on this approach. For the butterfly I realize I don't need, there is/was a massinve inefficiency in my underwater arm movements. I had pretty much no push. The catch was ok but then I was a little too careless with my pull which was setting for an inexistant push.
I understoo I have to work consciously my back muscles (romboide, mid and low trapeizus during the pull so I'm in a proper "shape" to efficiently push.
The lack of power during that face was clearly what was making my breathing complicated and so my recovery.
I've yet to postural work to do, to resist my muscular imbalance, so really relaxing prior breathing is too much for me at the moment, I can't focus on so many things. Yet I had 25/30m today at high pace it felt great, I could have continue but I crossed somebody and my breath was getting a little short too.
I think I've got the core of my butterfly dow today, I'm extremely happy about it.
As I was thinking about this lack of power during my pushing phase I wonder if it carried to my freestyle without me noticing... guess it did. As I tried to correct it I realized instantly that my body rotation was slightly ahead of my arm motion. Again quite happy about the finding significant gain in power with next to no extra efforts. As Dara Torres said in an interview"she tried to involved more muscles into her swimming" that is a great advice, a whole mbody activity, you share the load on lots of muscles and gain ahead room.